Dry Starting?

jamesbarr

So Ive been pretty interested in dry start method for a while but the fact that the plants that are typically put into one are so high maintenance and tend to need co2 and expensive lighting, I havent tried it out. Im a low maintenance hobbyist both by choice and by budget.

I have been reading lately however about people being able to keep higher maintenance plants in there with no co2, only high light. Im wondering if this is true or not. I have no experience with this and I suspect that there are folks in here that do.

I would love to make a nano iwagumi tank if this is true.

Edited by jamesbarr

What about a narrow leaf sagattaria? I use them as a carpet like low tech plant in my tanks. Sends out runners so once in a while may have to poke them into the substrate, but over all think it looks nice and very low maintence. I don't dose fertilize and they just grow.

http://www.sacramentoaquariumsociety.org/bap_hap/Plant_Reproduction_Report/20070303B_Sagittaria_subulata.htm

This does not need to be exspensive.

The most critical componant is the reflector

Like the one on this page http://www.freepaten...om/6698908.html

The deeper the better.

Over a nano tank ( less than 12 inches tall) , a 13 watt screwy bulb in this fixture will give you all the light you could need - and more.

A 2L soda rig will give you all the CO2 you could need.

,,,although not absolutely necessary.

Marsilea (my fave) and mini crypts are the least light hungry carpeting plants I know of.

Pelia is a good substitute as well.

im under the understanding that there are larger co2 requirements after immersion? can i start high maintenance plants and wean them off? i gather that there is no way to get that super dense carpet that is so awesome in the iwagumis in a low tech way?

Edited by jamesbarr

im under the understanding that there are larger co2 requirements after immersion? can i start high maintenance plants and wean them off? i gather that there is no way to get that super dense carpet that is so awesome in the iwagumis in a low tech way?

Drystart the plants get co2 from the air...no gas co2 in water so why you need to dose. Not that their requirements are higher but have to fill the void when it was flooded.

ok, so another question. Im seeing that people are using a soil substrate in their iwagumis, with a layer of gravel or sand on top and mts to keep from becoming anaerobic. Is this a good practise and if so what are the kinds of soil that people are using? Some folks are putting in a mix of compost, topsoil and peat moss. Others Im seeing using a special organic soil recommended by some Walstad lady. Both seem to yield great results.

yip still in good practice and kicks @$$!

NO compost...unless you make it in specifically you don't know what is in it or what has gotten in it.

Im making my own worm compost right now. well, my worms are :D all from vegetables, eggshells and some coffee. Nothing fish toxic would be in there. Im waiting to get a couple more items in order to set up an experimental tank to try some of it out in there to see what it does to my parameters when added in a media bag to my hob. Just want to know if it will cause a spike or anything before I put it into something that I would invest a lot of time and $$$ into.

Glad to hear that youve seen good results. Im looking forward to trying it out.