It's Been A Long Time But I'm Back

KTK

Well, I can't tell you how long it's been but I'm finally back on the site and looking forward to talking to people and thinking fish again. I really don't know what's been going on in Calgary in the past year but hope to jump back in and do some work on my tanks. I got hit with that dark brown hair algae over a year ago and haven't done any thing with my tanks sense. It's mostly gone in my cichlid tank but is still a pain in the but in my community planted tank. Like I've said I've been out sense this has hit my system and now I'm looking to fix it. I was thinking shrimp MIGHT help. I know this algae got into a Lot of systems and even the stores. Does any one know what people used to get rid of it??

Cheers

Hello and welcome back!

Give either tank or spot treatments with something like metricide (glutaraldehyde) or excel, same as metricide. hydrogen peroxide also works. (never used this method only metricide)

If it's bba, it will very quickly turn to different colors...red,grey if it was dosed well to kill it.

I've ment to try Excel and the only reason I haven't is b/c I have a good bit of Val in there. I was hoping to try shrimp first to see if that would work first. If the shrimp dont work then Excel is going to have to be the next step and good bye Val.

Thanx for the advise.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Algaes are terrible stuff to get rid of. Just curious, do they all require sunlight or sunlight equivalent spectrum lights to live?

If a tank is not in range if natural light, and the bulbs don't mimic natural light, would that prevent algae from ever occurring?

They don't require sunlight or equivalent. Most algae thrives on the same wavelengths as plants. Cyano, which isn't really algae thrives in green and yellow light. If you light bulbs/tubes are more than a year old you might want to look at replacing those too. What are you running for lights?

Shrimp would probably help control the algae. Amanos are great algae eaters, hardy and not too expensive.

Edited by cainechow