Crs/cbs Breeding In Tap Water

jeremoose

Although i am still relatively new to Cherry Reds, I can tell you I am useing Edmonton tap water. I condition it in a 5 gallon pail and let it sit for 24 hours before changing water. Works excellent in all both of my tanks ( 1 tank nothing but Cherry Reds and the other has 18 ghost shimp / 4 berried / and 18 harlequin Rasboras. My tanks are live planted and water parameters are spot on ;)))

Although i am still relatively new to Cherry Reds, I can tell you I am useing Edmonton tap water. I condition it in a 5 gallon pail and let it sit for 24 hours before changing water. Works excellent in all both of my tanks ( 1 tank nothing but Cherry Reds and the other has 18 ghost shimp / 4 berried / and 18 harlequin Rasboras. My tanks are live planted and water parameters are spot on ;)))

I believe the OP was referring to CRS (Cystal Red Shrimps) and CBS (Crystal Black Shrimps).

When I started out a couple years ago with CRS, I managed to get my first batch of CRS to breed for me using Calgary tap water and Fluval Shrimp Stratum (FSS). Had a fairly high survival rate as well with that first batch- close to 30 shrimpets that survived to adults. However, with all future batches the shrimplets never survived passed a few days, even after I switch to R/O water but that is another story as many other people have had similar experiences with FSS. I switched all my tanks over to ADA Aquasoil and never looked back. My CRS's been breeding like rabbits for me now.

Several LFS' had said they were able to raise CRS fine using tap water as well. I remember Riverfront used to have some in a Fluval Edge display tank and they seemed to be breeding quite well as there are many young shrimplets and juvies in it. The guy at Aquarium Central also mention they do fine in his tanks as well using tap water.

I have also came across several local hobbyists who had bred them using tap water as well; there was a fellow forum member who been breeding them for years using Calgary tap water. And recently one of my neighbors set up an ADA style nature aquarium (with ADA Aquasoil) with some CRS's from Pisces and from what he tells me, they are slowly reproducing for him.

I think as long as you are able to get a pair to survive and breed in city water, any future offsprings from them should be already acclimatized to tap water. Of course, ideally you would want some that have been locally bred or some from the LFS that have been acclimatized - the younger the better.

Myself, once I to switched to ADA aquasoil and R/O water I haven't looked back. To me the cost of the R/O system was minimal compared to the cost of the other equipment for my shrimp tanks and more importantly the costs of the shrimps that I have acquired over the past year.

Edited by jumpsmasher