Is This Tank Sick? - New Pictures Added March 18, 2013

flash_oesc

I would wait at least 2 weeks after treatment, just to be on the safe side, maybe 3-4 even. This way you know the salt is out, and whatever was infecting the tank has run its course, especially if your going to add GBR's.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured as much. I was so torn yesterday, we were at the LFS and for the first time, they had about 6GBR in a tank. Selling for $17.99 each. They've never had them in, so I wanted to buy them, but I still haven't figured out what's going on with this tank, and I didn't have anywhere else to put them. I really hope they have some when I'm ready...I love those fish.

My LFS also has a flowerhorn cichlid, it's incredible. Selling for about $60. My wife wants her pretty bad, but we don't have anything suitable for her right now. Best we could offer is a corner tank, 55G, which I understand is too small. (And I don't have it running anyways...)

If you really want them, I would say get that 55 cycling, could put all 6 in there. I have 8 in a 75 (4 wild and 4 tank bred). They are really spectacular in a large group, the males really show off their colors. If it's in the budget and time schedule, Aquarium Central here in edmonton has some wild caught, for about 10 each. I bought these as after some research found out the wilds have better parenting skills than the current tank bred. Their also a bit hardier than the tank bred. They are a little less colorful than the tank bred but just as beautiful in my eyes.

Well, we did a 30% WC on the tank, and added 6TBSP of Aquarium Salt to the tank. Everyone seems to be doing ok. The yoyo loaches seem a little off (laying around) but active when something catches their eye. Hope this works out, and we have no loses.

If you are after plants, swing by Athabasca on your way south one day. I can't give all my cuttings away, they end up in the compost (and I have several sandwich bags worth currently floating in my tank- and they are beginning to annoy me).

PS, looking at the picture, it looks really clean (good job). I am unfamiliar with Fort Mac's water, but I know Athabasca adds more chemicals to our water this time of year. Try doubling the Prime dose on water changes and adding some (3-5ml?) to the tank per day for 5 days just to keep any stray ammonia in check.

If you are after plants, swing by Athabasca on your way south one day. I can't give all my cuttings away, they end up in the compost (and I have several sandwich bags worth currently floating in my tank- and they are beginning to annoy me).

PS, looking at the picture, it looks really clean (good job). I am unfamiliar with Fort Mac's water, but I know Athabasca adds more chemicals to our water this time of year. Try doubling the Prime dose on water changes and adding some (3-5ml?) to the tank per day for 5 days just to keep any stray ammonia in check.

Thank you for your offer, I may take you up on that at some point. I'm not sure when we're heading South next, but we all know we will at some point. What type of plants are floating in your tank?

This tank has been the 'screaming child' of our fish keeping experience. With no lobster, and the addition of our loaches and snails, it's finally clean. The water has always been good (lots of changes) but the bottom used to be dirty trying to make sure everyone got what they needed. We left my mother in charge of feeding for two weeks and came home to a green tank. We've got it all under control through razor blades and water changes.

Someone else mentioned doubling on prime. I usually am somewhere from 1.5-2X the recommended dose anyways, depending on which method I do the changes with (buckets or DIY python). I've tested the water at random intervals, before WC, after, and mid week. I'm pretty consistent on the numbers. 0-0-and somewhere from 5-10. To the best of my API liquid test kit, I don't have any ammonia in any of my tanks. My cichlids are breading like crazy, I haven't had a single fry die in the baby tank, and this tank only has the stated issues.

On a plus note, my bigger loach is crusing the tank again like normal. I want to get him another friend. I have 2 yoyos, and one hides in the tree all day, the other is active.

I normally dose 2x prime as well. I find that even if my liquid test kits show 0 ammonia, there is still enough in the water to kill my daphnia cultures if I am not careful.

As for plants, my hygro and limnophila think they are weeds, and I have a huge patch of chain swords I want to get rid of, as well as some giant vals.

Currently floating are two big chunks of hydrocotyle sp japan that refuse to stay rooted, but don't seem to mind floating, more hygro, limnophila, some giant duckweed and a few other rouge cuttings. I could probably spare some java moss, a nice size chunk fell off my my tank wall recently - did you know that java moss will grow out of water, up the tank, and attempt to escape if left unsupervised long enough?

So, I'm thinking of doing some creative manipulation. I want to move my 29G to my 55G, and move my 10G to my 29G. My question is the sick 29. Is the issue I'm encountering somehow contained in the filters/water or substrate? Would I be potentially infecting my babies in the 10G by moving them over?

I don't really think it is a disease, it seems like something in the tank is altering/contaminating any water added to it. But it will probably still affect any fish in that tank - try moving one or two over as a test and watch closely for a week.

I had a tank like that once - the cycle never really established itself - I kept vacuuming the gravel and cleaning the filter trying to clear it up, but it wasn't until I kind of gave up and only siphoned & did water changes once a month that it improved. Plants help it, but to stop moving/disturbing things helped more.

Well, I think I'm going to leave the 29 as is, I just ordered new gear to start the 55. I'm going to move the fry to the 55, keep the 10 as QT/baby fry tank. Once the 29 is stable, I'll flip things around more. Heck, I might get a BN and a couple Rams to QT in the 10G next week :)

Ok. So I dosed with salt last Sunday. Did a 30% change this Sunday, and dosed the new water with salt. I also added a treatment of Seachem Stress Guard.

Below are some pictures of what the Blush Skirt looks like now. It looks like skin is peeling from around the eye?

There are some other pictures in the photobucket library here:

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/flash_oesc/library/

On a side note, I may have a pregnant danio...

DSC_0699_zpsd567cd55.jpgDSC_0698_zps7716bff2.jpgDSC_0695_zps83176061.jpgDSC_0694_zpsf8bc48c6.jpgDSC_0648_zps5eea5fd4.jpg