Update On My Shrimps

jumpsmasher

I've only seen a couple baby BKK swimming around in my main tank. I found a batch of eggs attached to a moulted skin and artificially hatched them, they are growing up in a breeder box for now. I am pretty sure I just saw a baby Blue Bolt :D.

My OEBTs are starting to take off too, I am getting about a 1/3 blondes. When I first got my OEBTs a lot looked like blondes to me but as they aged they turned blue, not dark blues but not blondes anymore. I have 10 - 12 that are dark blue at less than 1.0 cm so hopefully they will end up BTOE.

Wow - great success.

I am hoping for the same with 2 tanks loaded with Amazonia / Aka but was hoping to use tap water for tigers but may be looking to change my mind and go RO looking at the way these guys are going!!

Really cool!

Thinking the soil needs to be changed out as it is older, can't remember which one it is. Plus noticed a bunch of little snails, they resemble ramshorn but the shells lay flat against the ground. The only snails in the tank are tiger nerite snails so I know can't be them. Thinking of revamping the tank with some aqua soil covered with a dark sand to hold it down and instituting your feeding dish method as I am tired of finding food everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
My OEBTs are starting to take off too, I am getting about a 1/3 blondes. When I first got my OEBTs a lot looked like blondes to me but as they aged they turned blue, not dark blues but not blondes anymore. I have 10 - 12 that are dark blue at less than 1.0 cm so hopefully they will end up BTOE.

My only female BTOE only held on to a few shrimplets on her first batch so I only have a small sample size to compare but here are are differences that I notice so far between my BTOE and a few dark blue OEBT shrimplets that I have.

1. BTOE turn blue sooner, mine were within the first few weeks or so ( ~ 0.5cm)
  2. BTOE shrimplets don't have any tiger strips and have a translucent / indigo blue body than dark blue but it is very uniform throughout the body. When i first got them I found that they didn't turn solid (i.e black) until they were of breeding age. A couple of them looked similar to the Royal Blue tigers until they turned black.
  3. OEBT shrimps seems to develop their strips first than start to turn blue. On the darker blue shrimplets you can still make out their tiger strips. A couple of my darkest blue OEBT shrimplets are darker than my BTOE shrimplets

I also have a some very orange looking blondes OEBTs that are starting to reach breeding age. They will probably turn more brownish as they mature but there are a few that have a very definite orange tint to them.

Thinking the soil needs to be changed out as it is older, can't remember which one it is. Plus noticed a bunch of little snails, they resemble ramshorn but the shells lay flat against the ground. The only snails in the tank are tiger nerite snails so I know can't be them. Thinking of revamping the tank with some aqua soil covered with a dark sand to hold it down and instituting your feeding dish method as I am tired of finding food everywhere.

How old is it? ADA aquasoil should continue buffer for at least a year. Never really had an issue with the ADA stuff being too light, although I do like to used the finer "powder" versions as the top layer. I won't recommend covering it as sand or another substrate as the shrimps really like to pick and feed off the aqua soil I find.

Not really sure how old, came with the tank and he had said only had it up a few months. But it has gotten a nasty hair algae problem and found quite a few odd ramshorn snails (the shells lay flat instead of upright) so going to rip it down and start over. The Rili's in their are doing great, must have at least 50 in there from my starter of 8, so that might also be part of the issue.

My only female BTOE only held on to a few shrimplets on her first batch so I only have a small sample size to compare but here are are differences that I notice so far between my BTOE and a few dark blue OEBT shrimplets that I have.

2. BTOE shrimplets don't have any tiger strips and have a translucent / indigo blue body than dark blue but it is very uniform throughout the body. When i first got them I found that they didn't turn solid (i.e black) until they were of breeding age. A couple of them looked similar to the Royal Blue tigers until they turned black.
  3. OEBT shrimps seems to develop their strips first than start to turn blue. On the darker blue shrimplets you can still make out their tiger strips. A couple of my darkest blue OEBT shrimplets are darker than my BTOE shrimplets

I also have a some very orange looking blondes OEBTs that are starting to reach breeding age. They will probably turn more brownish as they mature but there are a few that have a very definite orange tint to them.

I just moved my OEBTs to a new tank, getting ready for summer temps. I probably had about 200 little ones with dozens being less than 0.5 cm and dark blue already. I was going to start culling but I think I will wait for them to be of breeding size to make sure the blondes are actually blondes.

Good luck with your OEBTs and BTOEs.

I just moved my OEBTs to a new tank, getting ready for summer temps. I probably had about 200 little ones with dozens being less than 0.5 cm and dark blue already. I was going to start culling but I think I will wait for them to be of breeding size to make sure the blondes are actually blondes.

Good luck with your OEBTs and BTOEs.

Nice! I might need to hit you up for some one of these days :D