Update On My Shrimps

jumpsmasher

Was doing some work in one of my shrimp tanks today just before feeding time and a bunch of them came out from hiding. Since i never really followed up on my initial shrimp rack post I thought I would post some quick pics:

This is my standard CRS group - these guys been multiplying like rabbits! It seems like there is a new batch of shrimplets being dropped every week as there are so many different sizes in there.

DSCF0910_zps65dfec12.jpg

How many shrimps can you count in this photo :P

DSCF0937_zps021c759f.jpg

This started as my nursery tank for the above and than became my "cull" tank when i moved some of the better one to the larger tank. They been multiplying lots as well - to the naked eye it seems like there is a lot more of them as there is less hiding spots in this tank - been very please with this tank in general!

DSCF0953_zpsa53cf1eb.jpg

At the end of last year I set up a new rack with 30" long tanks (20G/23G) for what I hoped was be my collection of Pure Line CRS / CBS shrimps (PRL / PBL). Things didn't start out great as 3 of my 5 Pure Black Line CBS decided to go for an extended walk during their first night in the rack. Found one of about a meter away from the tank the next day! Luckily, the remaining two paired up and soon my big female was berried. Unluckily, both parent to decided to go for a walk shortly after the shrimplets were born. But the shrimplets are doing well and growing fast; here is one of them (they are about 3 weeks old right now)

DSCF0983_zps347f8f53.jpg

Last but not least, my Nishiki-Ebi JPRL
These guy are only consider low-grade JPRL's so to the naked eye they are not much different than decent quality standard CRS. Unless you buy the higher grade JPRL ($$$-$$$$), you are pretty much getting their culls and banking on selectively breeding their offsprings. These two are probably the top ones of the batch I got in so hoping they are a M / F pair . Not the greatest photo but so hard to get these guys together in the same photo and in decent light :P

DSCF0876_zps048a0439.jpg

Fingers crossed : )

These are gorgeous! Recently picked up some low grade CBS to go with my Rili's in a 6G Edge. It has the ADA aqua soil, hoping I have some success with them breeding as they are growing like crazy. Kudos on the fabu CRS.

These are gorgeous! Recently picked up some low grade CBS to go with my Rili's in a 6G Edge. It has the ADA aqua soil, hoping I have some success with them breeding as they are growing like crazy. Kudos on the fabu CRS.

Yay, ADA Aquasoil rocks! It really turned my luck around when I redid all my tanks early last year with it - can't recommend it enuf. Are you using it with straight tap water?

Great looking batch ;) What water parameters do you have them in?

thanks,

Antonio

pH: 5.8-6.0

gH: ~ 4

kH: 0-1

TDS: ~ 140

Temp: 22 C

My CRS tanks use a mixture of ADA Amazonia + Africana or Akadama for the substrate, with 100% R/O water remineralize with Mosura Mineral Plus or Bee Shrimp GH+

+1 to nice looking shrimps

I have breeding shrimp envy as mine arent doing much of anything.

Might just be their age, the ones we got from the last group order are just starting to get berried, most of the baby shrimps in that tank are from the F1's that were born in my tank May / June of last year. I only spotted 1 or 2 of the SSS CRS we got last time that are berried. Are any of your females CRS berried or saddled? Do you keep them with fish? if you do get berried females and keep them with fish chances are the fish are snacking on the shrimplets

Tap with prime, going to add some Indian almond leaves but don't want to do too much at once. The CBS are lil smaller than a full grown rili and thinking A grade so fingers crossed. The Rili are producing like made so here's hoping.

Same here with our last order, most of what I got are females and there are 3 berried at the same time. Weird coz they are all the same grade but I see some 3 week old babies that are Grades A, SS/SS+ and even 2 Snowgolds.

hb

well I hate referring to the various patterns as "grades" since I don't think any particular pattern denote a high quality shrimp but ya they will throw out a mix of patterns until you selectively line breed them for a particular pattern for many generations. And when breeding Mosura's (SSS), you will get the odd snow white / golden bee. Even some JPRL breeders say they sometimes get snow white / golden bees in their pure line - when you say they don't have golden gene it just means they remove any golden offspring but there is always the chance you will get some when breeding Mosura shrimps with lots of white coverage.

Tap with prime, going to add some Indian almond leaves but don't want to do too much at once. The CBS are lil smaller than a full grown rili and thinking A grade so fingers crossed. The Rili are producing like made so here's hoping.

WHat's you pH like with ADA and tap water? I usually just add a leaf every 2-3 weeks - I don't think it really do much other than encourage a bit of bacteria growth and provide a bit of food for the young ones. They are probably a month or so from breeding, you should start to saddles on the females if they are grade A ones.

Looking good. I have a bunch of berried SSS from the last order but still no little shrimplets swimming around yet. My BKK from that order have reproduced quicker....weird.

The survival rate for the shrimplets on my BKK tank is not great. Usually only 3-4 per batch and haven;t really seen any "pure" BKK shrimplets, only hybrids at this point - I think my pH is too low.. lol Probably try moving them to the tank where the CRS are now now when i transfer my CRS to their new tank.

How's your OEBT doing? Mine are starting to take off but still too many blondes for my liking.. lol

My pH is normally 7.5, with the soil it ends up between 7-7.5, so probably 7.2-7.3 range. Just have a mini master kit. Trying to find the matching accessory kit for the GH and kh. Thinking I might have to play with that.

My pH is normally 7.5, with the soil it ends up between 7-7.5, so probably 7.2-7.3 range. Just have a mini master kit. Trying to find the matching accessory kit for the GH and kh. Thinking I might have to play with that.

hmm pH seems a bit high with ADA aquasoil - I would expect it to be more aggressive at lowering the pH, although i have never tried it myself with tap water. Which one are you using and how deep of a layer do you have in your tank? Amazonia?

What is the glass dish in tank?

Those are just glass feeding dishes - i use them to keep my food in one place and for easy removal of uneaten food. The deeper ones work great with the barley pellets that i feed my shrimps