Getting Prego Guppies To Drop?

jvision

For some reason, I decided to pick up some guppies last time I was at AC. I don't know what I was thinking going for these "beginner fish". It's been 20+yrs since I've kept them, and I'm wondering if there's anythin special one can do to get them to drop. One dropped 4 fry a while ago, and one died bc I think she was harassed by the males when she wanted to drop fry (males are now in their own tank). I have one that looks like she's going to burst (for almost a week now!) and one that's close. The tank is well filtered w gentle flow and the top is almost covered in floating water sprite. Temp is 78... what do I do?

be patient grasshopper! :)

hehe

as for taking the males out, why not try the external breeding boxes? quite large, hand on the outside of the tank, but take in water from the main tank. Thus you can

have same water conditions and isolate the females that are ready and save all the babies etc.

Edited by Tigs

They needcto feel safe, add some moss on the bottom where they can hide. Another trick turn off the lights, I found mine always preferred darkness to spit them out. Maybe a little salt, if they still haven't in a few days.

be patient grasshopper! :)

hehe

as for taking the males out, why not try the external breeding boxes? quite large, hand on the outside of the tank, but take in water from the main tank. Thus you can

have same water conditions and isolate the females that are ready and save all the babies etc.

Oh believe me, I know all about those breeder boxes - what do you think I have the other babies in? ;)

They needcto feel safe, add some moss on the bottom where they can hide. Another trick turn off the lights, I found mine always preferred darkness to spit them out. Maybe a little salt, if they still haven't in a few days.

The tank is full of moss, in the tank - lots of rockwork, caves ets. I even have CORIES!! That's gotta work, right? ;) I'm not going to add salt, and the tank is on my main system so, lighting is what it is... Guess I'll wait and see...

Turns out, all I had to do was ask! Scooped out 30 fry this afternoon! :thumbs: