Thinking About A Dwarf/pea Puffer Tank

I've been thinking about setting up a dwarf puffer tank because they are just too dang cute and seem like a lot of fun to watch. My plan was to setup a tank with sand substrate (maybe flourite black sand or sandblasting media) with tall-ish rocks and stem plants to break up direct line of sight. I was reading that dwarf puffers don't have scales like other fish and can get cut up by sharp substrate; are rocks going to be the same problem? If yes, I might go dig up some nice round river stones or something.

Has any one kept these little guys? Anything special I should be aware of?

I have kept them several years ago. They are really fun to watch hunt down their sinking food and then fight over it. I had some rounded beach rocks, drift wood and lots of live plants in their tank. They are nasty little fellas, so it is best to do a species only tank with them.

Yes they are scaleless but i have not had problems due to decor. They are smart, inquisitive, and just plain comical. How big is your tank? Big enough tank can house more than one but it is important to get 1m to 2f ratio to decrease aggression. Dont misjudge these li'l puffs. They are fin nippers and be careful what you house them with. Break the line of sight to reduce aggression as well.

I was definitely planning on a dwarf puffer only tank. If I did a 5g could I do 3 as long as there was only one male? I could son up a 10g, but I'm not sure i know where to put that :) I understand they are happy as a group when young but the males get territorial

I kept a trio(1M/2F) for a couple of years back when I first moved up here. I kept mine in a heavily planted 5.5 gallon. They were on my desk so I was entertained by them constantly. I would say if you can go bigger than 5 gallons, do so. The aggression was OK for me in a species only setup, but they are messy little buggers. I did try them with ottos and dwarf frogs and there was plenty of nipping going on.

I kept a few in a fluval ebi with no problems, they were awesome to watch while hunting snails and also while feeding them blood worms sometimes 2 of them will grab different ends of the same worm and its like lady and the tramp with the spaghetti till they get to the middle, then one starts thrashing and pulls the worm out of the others mouth lol.

not sure how worried I'd be about them getting cut as their skin is quite leathery, Ive seen a youtube of an eel biting a puffer and the puffer just inflates and swims away - then again who knows how well it recovered. my tank had the ebi planted substrate so I have no personal experience with sharp objects in there.

I would second that they are messy, messy little buggers. When I kept them the near constant maintenance on a 5G tank nearly did me in. It was worse because I didn't have a cover, and evaporation played a huge role in the water parameters. I decided that if I ever repeated the experiment, it would be in a ten gallon at least.