Crayfish/lobster

Curtis

Plain and simple are they worth trying to get. Followed lots of links but have not found many Canadian suppliers. So before I fall truly in love with those awesome little blue lobsters should I stop right now? :) I saw this link http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=36812&hl=lobster#entry2261922 but was thinking it was only for the common (correct term) variety

And this is in the wrong thread or is it :)

Edited by Curtis

I love crayfish! They make a fun tank. They are usually available at most stores, at least here in Edmonton. I've seen white ones, red ones, blue ones,zebra ones, those little mexican orange ones(more community tank friendly), the self cloning ones etc.

Just be cautious of adding other fish and plants. Don't put anything in with them you aren't willing to get eaten. I kept my blue crayfish with danios and other quick top dwelling fish but eventually they'd go "missing". Some are better hunters then others. Same with plants. He'd shred and chop them into tiny pieces, even tried chewing up my plastic plants. I'd throw my plant clippings in there as it was fun to watch him "edward scissorhands" them into tiny pieces. Also cover EVERY hole, even the filter outflow as they will climb out. I rigged up some coroplast to cover my HOB filter outflow as my guy climbed out and decided to go for a walk.

Thanks for the info. As you are well aware that there is as many potential answers out there as there are members :) I have not got my tank setup just doing a lot of reading and asking questions. Was thinking about a freshwater planted community tank and just looking at what is out there and what I would need to do to keep what is out there lol.

A planted community might not be the best for a regular crayfish. He will eat whatever he can get a hold of, fish and plants. I have heard that the orange mexican crayfish(also called CPO) is ok in a community tank. They are small and shouldn't eat plants and can't catch most fish.

I just saw a tank of them at Aquarium Central and they looked pretty cute. Bright neon orange