Led Light Intensity For A 21 G Iwagumi Tank - Sos!

Slava

Dear all,

I am looking to set up a medium to high-light 21 g tank (60 cm x 35 cm x 30 cm) and wandering if I am going to get to much light with Fluval Aqualife & Plant Full Spectrum Performance LED Strip Light, 25W (http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Lighting/Fixtures---Canopies/A3980). I am going to install it on the tank brim.

Did you, guys, have any experience with such lights? I don't want to grow algae instead of HC :)

Thank you!

I can't really answer your question as the lights are quite new and there isn't much info about them yet.

But I've got to ask, are you planning on running pressurized CO2?

If you aren't pretty much any light in the medium to high range has a good chance of creating an algae farm.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your answers!

I am definitely going to inject CO2 once I put the system together. For starters, I am planning to use Excel. For 21 g tank it should not be too expensive.

The reason I am interested in the Fluval P-24 LED strip light is because it has very slick profile as well as it may actually be a more economical solution in the long run if one factors in the cost of T5 bulb replacement and power.

I am still unsure how to convert LED light wattage/Lumens into a wpg. Will keep searching the net.

The fluval lights do look great and their tank coverage is impressive, one light is enough for full front to back coverage on a 40 breeder, tough for most LED without raising them.

If you haven't already seen it try looking at the "led lighting compendium" over at plantedtank.net

I think that's the thread title anyways, there is a ton of good info and it gets updated semi regularly

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for your responses, guys! I ended up buying Fluval LED strip light referenced above. One month into a dry start - growing HC. Everything is going well so far.

Nice, glad it's working out. What was a rough $ for the fixture?

Thanks again for the HC and DSM advice! I initially left an opening in the plastic wrap as I put the light strip right on the tank and did not want it to overheat the wrap when left unattended. Although the light strip does get a little warm, the heat is dissipated by the aluminum housing and the face of the light stays fairly cool. I eventually covered the top of the tank almost completely and with higher humidity and 14 hr photoperiod HC really took off. That said, I will have to give it another month before I flood it.

Edited by Slava

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi New_from_Peru,

I did not bother taking pictures and now it is flooded and populated. I will be trimming HC tomorrow. Tried to grow it without CO2 - just Excel and got some blue-green algae. Hoping to correct it with CO2 injection. HC did fill the 21 gallon tank from a very small patch in about four months.

• 2 months later...