Protein Skimmer For Freshwater?

Bandi

So I'm the first to admit that I know nothing about saltwater tanks. But I was just reading articles on the uses and functions of proteins skimmers. It seems to me a protein skimmer might be very useful in a freshwater aquarium. Is this something that can be done? not recommended. Totally unnecessary? Actually beneficial?

Any thoughts?

Protein skimmers work well in SW b/c it's quite dense and foams well with minimal protein build-up. In FW, it's near imposible to get it to foam unless your water is filthy!

So I'm the first to admit that I know nothing about saltwater tanks. But I was just reading articles on the uses and functions of proteins skimmers. It seems to me a protein skimmer might be very useful in a freshwater aquarium. Is this something that can be done? not recommended. Totally unnecessary? Actually beneficial?

Any thoughts?

Surface skimmers are intended for FW applications. I use one to deal with the oily film symptom.