Advice On Mixing Aru 2 And Shrimp

SuperGuppyGirl

So 33G with 14 Aru 2 and around 30 dwarf corys (Pygmy/habrosus/hastatus) moderately planted (java moss/Xmas moss/ Anubias/ crypts/ swords) and an AC50. Will be adding some more free floating moss and some saggataria. So thinking of adding some Cherries and Red Tiger shrimp. Doable for at least a self sustains colony (or better ) or just a feeding frenzy?

post-5607-0-79516500-1365037544_thumb.jpg

Get a lot more moss in there - have a space at least the size of a soft ball filled with moss. That will be enough cover for the shrimp to colony to grow - also start with as many shrimp as possible, and feed well. Your fish (rainbows and cats) will eat the baby shrimp that they can find... if they're hungry.

I had a group of praecox rainbows slowly reduce a VERY thriving colony of shrimp, so I don't doubt that your blue-eyes will go after baby shrimp. I know for sure that Pygmy/dwarf Cory's enjoy baby shrimp. So lots of cover if you want lots of shrimp. :)

I had aru2s and yellow shrimp in the same tank; moderately planted. The juve shrimp holed up under a piece of driftwood, and stayed close.

The bigger shrimp swam the tank freely; the aru2s didn't give them a 2nd look. I didn't ever see an aru2 take a crack at the little shrimps. But while the shrimp colony slowly languished, the aru2s were throwing eggs... 1+1=2

I've run out of floor space until the hubby (who hogs all carpenter endeavours and won't shar his power tools with me the jerk) builds me a shelving unit. Currently running 2-75G, 35G, 33G, 15G, 2-10G, 6G, 2-3G, 2-1.5G and my sisters 60G. Still waiting to set up 2-10G, 15G for breeders and to rearrange some smaller tanks. Then I'll hit him up for some more lol especially as he wants some mini Mexican crayfish.