Ballon Boesemani Rainbow

I spotted this label at a LFS today and had to stop and take a look,sure enough I spotted what had to be the saddest looking group of Rainbows that I have ever seen.They were twisted and terribly deformed with the worst coloring.Why would anybody do this to just a beautiful fish species?

It seems to be a popular mutation I have seen Mollies Platies Rams and now Rainbows so some body must be buying them.I just find it strange as most hobbyists cull fish like this when they show up during breeding.I can't imagine these fish are very healthy or survive very long.

I noticed in probably the same LFS ..... ballon Electric Blue Rams ..... and I believe they were ballon incisus or ballon red Rainbow. They were discussing them on the European Rainbowfish forum with similar comments as

Hopefully nobody buys them so they disappear.

It is pretty sad as the rainbows were covered with parasites and not for sale, but even if the parasites were gone I doubt if they would live long. The wife .... who's favorite is the EBR was very disappointed as well to see the deformed rams. Why would anyone do that to a fish this nice ....

Rainbowric_g.jpg

Was not a nice visit for either of us to the LFS that day.

Ric