Fluval Ebi/flora Stratum Or Flourite?

The_Little_One

Good morning fellows. I just picked up a 20 gallon long and I'm trying to figure out what substrate would be the best for a planted tank that I hope to leave alone for a while... I've been running my current Fluval Ebi with the stock stratum, but I'm wondering about the benefits of utilizing Flourite for long-term sustainability.

Also, does anyone know if Flourite Dark, Black, etc have different properties or are those merely their brands? I ask because they seem to market them differently.

Thanks!

flourite dark, black etc are just the colour it comes in. I'm ordering flourite black sand myself, mostly since it's for shrimp and I want a dark substrate to show up the colours on them.. In addition local water is so hard that substrate that would help my shrimp would not last very long, so until I go to RO water I'm sticking with neutral substrate.

cheers,

Antonio

All I use is fluorite black.. both the gravel and the sand. I like the sand since I dont have to vacuum it as much to keep it looking decent and its easier for me to plant stuff in and I do seem to have some success. I think I remember hearing that the fluval substrate eventually breaks down especially if you are constantly going to be disturbing it planting and replanting.

I have tanks running both. Flourite is amazing stuff and I find the fluval stuff great, but messy if you have large bottom dwellers that disturb the soil like a big Plecoptera or sun catfish.