Anubias Barteri Melting Rhizomes

Guppygirl

I am having trouble with some of my anubias barteri (I am hoping not all). Their rhizomes are melting, turning to mush-but the leaves look healthy and are fully green but the stem connected to the rhizome is mush and thus the leaves float. That is the only warning I have that the plant is finished-a floating leaf and then I touch the main plant and all the leaves come off and nothing remains. It is getting frustrating as they are nice looking, healthy looking plants until the leaves float.

Any ideas as to what is happening? Do I have to fertilize? I have liquid flourish, iron, and excel but haven't been dosing.

My anubias nana in the same tank is doing great-it just has me so confused as to why it is melting- the rhizome is not buried they are just tied to pieces of slate/shale. Please help! Thanks.

I had this happen, but managed to catch it before it turned the entire stem to mush. I found that it started at any cut on the rhizome and it only seemed to happen when I attached it to a broken piece of air stone or some sea shells I had that had come with one of my tanks. It never happened when attached to driftwood when it was fresh cut. I had asked a friend who is a plant guru, and he explained it was a nutrient deficiency and to trim off the mushy rhizome. I did that and switched it to a heavier bioload tank and they are doing great. Hope this helps.