I Have Muppets!

Abby

Hi there everyone,

Odd night I had last night. My wife and I were sitting watching TV when I happen to glance over at the tank and I see this itty bitty thing swimming around at the bottom. My wife sees it too and says "What's that little thing?". Given that I recently bought some plants that were grown in a shrimp heavy tank, I had assumed it was a baby shrimp. Although, I did a potassium permanganate dip so how I thought a shrimp survived that . . . I don't know!

Anyway, I get closer to the glass and much to my surprise, that's not a shrimp! That's a fry! Wait now. . .who's pregnant?

Turns out my male guppy got my molly pregnant. So, they have given birth to what I am calling "Muppets" (I'm sure they have a name somewhere. . .but Guppy+Molly = Muppet in my mind). Unfortunately a lot of what she gave birth to didn't make it. Some came out as eggs (that were quickly eaten) a few others came out not moving (also eaten), but I did manage to scoop two live guys in a small net and move them to an empty 10 gallon tank. There could be more, but it's a large tank and they get visually lost on the sand substrate quite easily (plus it was midnight and I was tired).

So, I have no idea if these two are going to make it (or if there are others currently hiding in the big tank). But either way, I thought it was kind of an interesting event. After doing some googling I see that it isn't unheard of for these species to breed. I didn't know that they would/could but good on them!

I'll let you know how the two little ones do (given that they're Muppets; my Daughter has named them Gonzo and Fozzy)

Just thought I would share.

Cheers all.