Quieter Filter?

Bruno

I have a 37G with a Marineland Penguin 200 HOB filter, and my wife is wanting to throw it out the window. I have to admit, it is a little loud. So what filter would you recommend to provide good filtration but be as quiet as possible. Either HOB or Canister (or even in tank - seen a couple of those and while they are ugly in the tank, I would consider it if it is the quietest option).

I am still doing a fish less cycle so now is the time to do it before we get fish in there. Any suggestions?

I have one of these http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006K2W4PG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in my 45gal corner tank, and since the back is painted black you can't even see the thing! So far (a month) it's been running very well, and it's super quiet. I, personally, will never have a HOB filter again, I have had nothing but problems, one emptied 10gal of water onto the floor, or noise, I hate them, lol. I had a fluval 304 on my old 30gal tank and loved it as well, cleaning was super easy, priming was as well, a very nice filter if you have a place for the canister to sit and I would happily have one again.

I have a Fluval C3 HOB for a 20 gallon planted and I love it. It is a remake of traditional HOB style filters with extra space to put in extra media. On a 33 gallon I'm using a Marineland c-130 and its quiet but a real pain to get it primed after servicing. I have a aquaclear 110 and a Fluval U4 in a 77 gallon. The aquaclear 110 is fantastic but a tad noisy, while the U4 is silent. The U4 is my favourite of all my filters, as it has several outlet settings such as a jet stream or spray bar, and it is low hassle when it comes to maintenance. The drawback is that it is internal and I have to hide it behind a giant sword plant.

I had an internal, and it was awesome until cleaning time. As I pulled it out of the water, it puked everything back into the tank. I personally love the eheim classic cannisters. I run a prefilter sponge on the intake, which makes cannister maitenance almost a non-issue. I just rinse the sponge in tank water once a week. They run super quiet (I have the spray bars pointed in and down on a 45 degree angle.

Guess this is why there are so many filters out there - everyone likes a different setup.

I like the idea of a canister, but I don't have the tank on a traditional stand. I have a small area therfore I can put a canister, but looking ta the specs for the various brands/models out there the ones that have sufficient flow etc for my tank all seem to be too big for my space (I have a area roughly 13" x 13" x 13" I can hide a canister in - if hoses come out the top then the canister has to be really small.

I'll head over to Big Al's and have a look at what is there that can fit in that space, but if anyone knows of a good canister (also quiet) that would fit, let me know please.

The last coupe of days the existing HOB has gotten a little quieter, though some vibration to the tank woke my wife up at 1:00 AM which didnt make her happy, so I may also look at some felt or somethign to reduce vibration noises for now...

well, I don't know of any cannisters that are that short (not to say there aren't any). Another option might be a couple sponge filters? Sometimes get the same issue I had with the internal (the puking as you pull it out of the water) but really simple to maintain, and holds a good deal of bio. Not the greatest for mechanical filtration though...just a thought. I use:

75G - Eheim 2217, Fluval 204 and Fluval C3

55G - Eheim 2215, 2 air driven sponge filters (one for filter, the other ready to cycle the quarantine tank) I just removed a marineland HoB because I didn't like it.

29G - Fluval 204 and Fluval C3

When I break down my 29, I'm transfering over the 204 to the 75, and getting rid of the C3. It doesn't fit the rim properly, as such, is quite noisy.

Edited by flash_oesc

I just switched from a Whisper 30 to a Fluval 206 - I had both filters running for a while to let the 206 acclimate, but once I unplugged the Whisper 30... I realized I should have made the switch long ago - so quiet.