Best Place To Get A 10Lb Co2 Tank?

McTurtle

I found these guys, but I don't know how much the shipping will be. http://www.aquariumplants.com/Aluminum_CO2_Cylinders_CO2_tanks_CO2_cannisters_p/t.htm

The price for a 10lb aluminum tank is $79 vs the ~$200 at Oxygen Products. Granted, I have to pay $26 to fill it.

Has anyone else ordered from them? Any other suggestions for a good retailer? Thanks!

I believe that is an American site so be prepared for any brokerage fees or duty etc that might be incurred for it coming across the border. Cant tell what city you are in but you can try The Recharge Center or Sprouse Fire and Safety in Calgary to see what they have in rebuilt tanks. Recharge center you can get a tank and just swap it with a full one when you need a fill and I think Oxypro also offers the same service. You can also try online with J&L Aquatics or Pets And Ponds which are both Canadian sites.

This probably isn't overly constructive as I haven't looked in to it myself. But through the grapevine I was told that Praxair is very good to deal with and they have fair prices. I apologize that I don't know specifics.

A friend of mine does business with them often (through work, not Aquarium related) and he sings their praises.

Could be worth a phone call?

Edited by Abby

Having called pretty much every welding gas supply house in town (and a brother who works at one of them) I found the best price at Oxypro, plus it was just up the road from work so I can stop on the way home.

$126 filled for a 5LB and they do exchange filling.

That being said, if I bought another in the future I'd probably buy one from JL Aquatics (great people and great prices) because they're around $100 and as long as you are buying $100 worth of stuff you get free shipping.

The 5LB is $90 and the 10LB is $130, if you add a fill for $19-25 your still coming in a bit cheaper than local places and you own the cylinder and it's brand new.

Oxypro is probably your best bet. Getting on their exchange program is a great idea because you never have to worry about having your tank hydro'd or expiring. Also, when you drop it off at the shop door you get to speak directly to the guy in the back, so you can ask him to give you a nice looking tank :) Although I doubt they have any shiny aluminum tanks in the exchange stock.

When I called Praxair about a 5lb tank, the guy laughed at me; maybe he was having a bad day.

Oxypro wants ~$160 for a filled 5lb aluminum tank. I'm into aluminum since I'm a wuss and don't want to have to lift more than I have to. The refill is ~$18.0. I haven't found out how much a refill would be at the recharge centre yet...

Praxair doesn't really deal with the "small fry" but the people there were really friendly and tried to suggest other places to look.

I've got to check out JL. :)

I wouldn't worry about paying extra for aluminum at Oxypro, I bought a green painted steel tank and on my first fill the service guy asked if I wanted an aluminum one instead so of course I took him up on the offer.

+1 to oxypro nothing but good things to say about them. I tried prax but they tried telling me it was illegal to own a compressed co2 cylinder in Canada and I had to rent one.

Wowzers! Looks like I know where I'll be going next time!!

• 3 weeks later...