Best Filter/equipment For A Small Tank?

Chelsea716

I am doing a 10 gallon crayfish tank (no heater needed! Yay!) so I am wondering, what brand of filter is best? Something they can't climb up, and is affordable. Under $20 preferably, that way I can buy this fancy stuff I want for my other animals that is very pricey. I am on a budget, I have everything I need to start cycleing, besides the filter. What brand is best? And where can I buy it in Edmonton (south end please).

Crayfish can pretty much escape through climbing the cords...so it doesn't really matter if you choose a hang on back, like an aquaclear, or use a sponge filter...it's really up to you and what you like aesthetically. :) I personally prefer HOBs.

Can't beat Aqua-clears for small tanks economical and durable.I have several scattered around in 10 & 20 gallon tanks.

depending on what your lid looks like, a sponge filter is small, economical and a beast on biological filtration - also, the opening needed on the lid is so small, that they can't fit through...I don't trust HOB filters anymore...power blip happens and mine don't restart. Every tank I have has canisters and/or sponges.

depending on what your lid looks like, a sponge filter is small, economical and a beast on biological filtration - also, the opening needed on the lid is so small, that they can't fit through...I don't trust HOB filters anymore...power blip happens and mine don't restart. Every tank I have has canisters and/or sponges.

Filters come down to preference ... as previously stated. I too like the HOB Aquaclears, currently use Aquaclear 70 on 3 of my tanks, easy maintenance and great for beginners as well, and plenty of space for media. On my 29 and 30 Gallons tanks I have 1 each, and on my 55 Gallon I went with 2 AC70s (only have to buy one supply this way). I like extra filtration on my tanks so I've put a larger model on each tank. As for the motor not restarting, I only have to keep an eye on one tank. Its my oldest filter (was giving to me 4 yrs ago ... so no idea how old it is) and the motor is starting to wear. Hence it needs priming to restart. Have a new motor for it just haven't gotten around to changing it, as it still works great otherwise.

Filters come down to preference ... as previously stated. I too like the HOB Aquaclears, currently use Aquaclear 70 on 3 of my tanks, easy maintenance and great for beginners as well, and plenty of space for media. On my 29 and 30 Gallons tanks I have 1 each, and on my 55 Gallon I went with 2 AC70s (only have to buy one supply this way). I like extra filtration on my tanks so I've put a larger model on each tank. As for the motor not restarting, I only have to keep an eye on one tank. Its my oldest filter (was giving to me 4 yrs ago ... so no idea how old it is) and the motor is starting to wear. Hence it needs priming to restart. Have a new motor for it just haven't gotten around to changing it, as it still works great otherwise.

I agree it's all a choice. I was thinking for a 10G crayfish tank, on a budget of less than $20.00, a sponge is your cheapest, easiest, never needs priming...etc.

I have:

75G - Eheim 2217, Fluval 204 and Fluval C3

29G - Fluval 204, Fluval C3

55G - Eheim 2215, 2X sponge filters. (These are also my instant cycle when starting a QT.)

My C3s are both about a year, year and half old. They both need priming. I've taken them apart, cleaned...etc Still wont self start.

I don't really like sponge filters. I can shell out some more money for a HOB as they seem the best. Are HOBs very noisy?

Not really. Just make sure the intake isn't near a bubbler (if you have one). Other than that, they run pretty quiet. The higher the water level, the less splashing noise as well.