Seachem Matrix, Carbon And Purigen

I am thinking about switching out the media in my Penn Plax Cascade 1500 and using all Seachem products. 2 Trays of matrix, 2 trays of matrix carbon and one tray of purigen. Has anyone used these products? And any advice on what process I should use to swap over to them??

Thanks!

One of the staff at Riverfront suggested using carbon to keep my water nice and clear, on the seachem site they say (of course) that purigen will make your water "Crystal Clear" :eh: . I have some very small particles all throughout the tank and figured if Carbon and Purigen can help to clear that up then its worth a shot :thumbs: .

Any reason you dont use Carbon? What else do you use in your canisters??

I use Purigen with my discus. I can say that it does a fantastic job of absorbing organic waste in water.

Purigen holds onto particles of organic material (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate mainly) leaving the water very clean. It does not, nor does any product replace water changes however.

Since starting with purigen in my canister (I also run filter floss and always have) my water has had a noticable clarity improvement and now my Wet kids are always in the mood for lovin...

(Very clean water is almost all it takes for discus to spawn)

I Do not use carbon, as rumurs are that it can cause Hole in the head for south american cichlids.

It's very expensive, but it is a quality product.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I should have started with what I am looking for overall in my filter :) I have a 120 gallon tank with about 30 ish cichlids, some plecos, 4 red fin sharks, 2 clown loaches and some white cloud minnows. I am probably way over stocked but I like the busy look in the tank and want media that will work the best for assisting in maintaining the tank. I have been doing at minimum 20% water changes since I got the tank 8ish weeks ago and test the water regularly.

As I said above I do find that I have lots of little particles floating about my tank. I was hoping the combo of carbon and purigen would help to clear that up.

I will definitely go with the matrix and purigen and then load up the remaining baskets with floss :)

Thanks for the responses!