Fluval G6

jskitch

TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids. Dissolved solids can be anything from minerals to organic compounds like fish and plant waste. TDS is usually measured using conductivity. In general for aquariums, more minerals and junk in the water gives higher conductivity. The G6 shows conductivity I think.

RO stands for Reverse Osmosis which is a way to filter water so that it is mostly pure.

That being said, you should be able to check your tank's conductivity history via the "Operational Settings" menu under "Conductivity Points". What does the little graph show you?

1338 uS/cm works out to about 850 ppm TDS? That can't be right can it? Calgary tap water is like 170 ppm TDS.

Did the drop correspond to a water change?
What do you have for substrate?
What about rocks?
How often do you do a water change and how much?
What fish are you keeping?

If you think the g6 is faulty I can only think to run it on a bucket of tap water and see what the reading comes out to. Calgary tap would show something like 230 uS/cm.

Edited by cainechow

If that is in ppm, you have something dissolving in your tank. Probably limestone or shells or some other rock. Our tap water is around 250 ppm, which is considered moderately hard; 400-500 is considered very hard. So, there's no wonder its giving you a warning!

The drop was around the time of a change. I have sand instead of rock, there is a couple of rocks in it. Drift wood a decorative ship. For fish I have a gourami blushing angel. Male and female rainbow pelco, peacock gar rope fish and a sting ray. I do believe there were shells in the sand. Water change twice a week 25%

I'm gonna guess it is a combo of the sand and maybe the rocks. I have a tank that I was/am cycling and it has sand, that looks like play sand, in it that I'm not sure of the source. That tank is slowly creeping up to the 300ppm mark. That tank is using only RO water that measures TDS out at 4ppm! I'm going to scrap the sand and dump it under my deck and start over on that tank.

I know people are using playsand a lot, but not all play sand is created equal I found out. Some are more pure silica and others have a lot of other mineral grains.

You can check your rocks with vinegar. If it bubbles then you could swap them out. Otherwise you could switch from sand to SIL80 instead.

The coral and shells will also be adding to the hardness. If your fish seem fine, it's not really a big deal; and, if you're not wanting to breed your fish, then carry on. However, if the health of your fish seems to be an issue, you'll want to lower the TDS slowly down to below 500ppm (assuming that is the unit of measure for your filter)