Lighting Question

flash_oesc

Looking for opinions/suggestions. I have a pentagon corner tank, and the lid/lights look like the image below. Currently it makes a clicking/ticking noise when it starts, and the light flickers and really stresses the current fish (tetras go white for about 5 minutes). The light is 18" long, and there are slots for 2 lights. I was looking swapping it out for an LED system, (beamswork, or marineland single bright) 18"LED. The issues are I'm hoping to have some plants at some point in this tank. It's about 24" deep, which I think would pose an even bigger issue with the LED lights. Also, the LED lights seem to be 5" wide, which is bigger then the slot the current ballast sits on, so some of the light would be shining directly on the top of the lid if I layed it across. Cost is playing a factor in this, as I just spent way too much money on livestock. Anyone else have a weird shaped tank that's deep, but not long? What do you use? etc etc etc...

212161g.jpg

I love the FugeRay for just normal tank lighting and keeping the plants growing in a shallow tank. If you aren't planning on light-hungry plants in your tank, I think it'll be ideal.

If plants are going to be involved, considering the depth of this tank, wouldn't a Ray II be a better option? I know they don't come with moonlights but I think a fugeray would be too weak at the bottom of the tank.

If plants are going to be involved, considering the depth of this tank, wouldn't a Ray II be a better option? I know they don't come with moonlights but I think a fugeray would be too weak at the bottom of the tank.

That's exactly what i was wondering with leds in general...

Whats the difference on the ray II? They have 3 listed.

Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants

Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems

High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problems

What individual species PAR requirements are I have no idea.

• 1 year later...