Rough Go In The Livestock Area

flash_oesc

Problem 1. – I ordered Shrimp and plants from shrimpfever last week. Shipped out Wednesday with guaranteed delivery for Friday. Friday came and went, no shrimp. No updates on the Canada Post website, only scan showed the intake scan when Tommy dropped them off. (have lodged several complaints and investigations and I have supervisors checking in with me to tell me nothing.) Scanned on Sunday afternoon in Edmonton (they were supposed to call before forwarding along, and didn’t…someone in Edmonton was going to get free shrimp if they had). Sent this way on a truck at 5pm last night, still not here…problems with the truck apparently…GRRRRR

Problem 2. – I went to LFS here and purchased 5 angels and 5 GBR on Tuesday. I added them to a fresh setup quarantine 29G. Water treated with prime at 1.5 dose. The tank ran with a powerhead for a couple days prior. I added an established filter off my 75G, and a brand new filter as well when intorucing the new fish. Wednesday morning, dead angel. Took fish back (with water sample), got replacement angel. Added to tank. Wouldn’t eat at night feeding, or morning feeding. Came home at lunch Thursday – dead angel (the replacement). Took back for store credit. One ram breathing heavy, not eating. Friday morning, one dead ram. Came home at lunch, another dead ram. Took back to store with water sample, and got store credit. They say no more credit/exchange. Have a disagreement about the cycling of a tank, and they tell me that it's water that holds the bacteria, and that even though I have no ammonia, nitrite and small amount of nitrate, it's not cycled. GRRRR. Currently have 4 angels, and 3 GBRs. One GBR now has white spots…@#$%!!!!! So so so happy I quarantined before adding to my 55G.

Started raising the temp slowly, and having a debate on chemicals vs. salt to kick this thing. Other than getting rid of all things aquatic and getting another parrot…thoughts?

Hopefully the shrimp pull thru - if they're Cherry shrimp (or that type), there's a good chance they could make it.

As for the LFS... well, it sounds like the LFS staff should read up on the nitrogen cycle again. Why do we use filters if the bacteria are in the water?? Wouldn't we just need airstones and powerheads?? Unfotunately, this is what happens with your typical pet store that sells fish, too. Most stores that sell just aquarium products should at least try some other BS like hiding when they test your water so they can tell you it's no good... :rolleyes: (in fairness, that only happened to me once... except they didn't hide the test vial when they came back!)

You're on the right path of quaranteening before adding to your population, but you may have gone a little overboard with 10 new fish. Hopefully the rest make it!

Hopefully the shrimp pull thru - if they're Cherry shrimp (or that type), there's a good chance they could make it.

As for the LFS... well, it sounds like the LFS staff should read up on the nitrogen cycle again. Why do we use filters if the bacteria are in the water?? Wouldn't we just need airstones and powerheads?? Unfotunately, this is what happens with your typical pet store that sells fish, too. Most stores that sell just aquarium products should at least try some other BS like hiding when they test your water so they can tell you it's no good... :rolleyes: (in fairness, that only happened to me once... except they didn't hide the test vial when they came back!)

You're on the right path of quaranteening before adding to your population, but you may have gone a little overboard with 10 new fish. Hopefully the rest make it!

The shrimp are red rili and blue panaque. I also ordered some moss balls and plants, so if they are in the same bag, they should have something to pick at I hope. As for adding 10 fish, I thought it was all based on the current bio filtration? I added 5 small rams (inch, inch and a half?) and 5 angels (quarter-loonie body size, ones a little bigger). The filter came out of a well established 75, with lots of african cichlids and a couple plecos... Either way, for now, the bio filtration isn't leaving behind any nasties (knock on wood)...the water is testing good for all parameters they tested. The remaining fish are all active and eating...just one ram with spots. Temp is up to 81 as of lunch today.

We also has issues with Canada Post with the recent Calgary group order with Shrimp Fever. Our delivery guy said that he came to the door on Thursday (website updated). I was home all day. There were no knocks on the door, no door bell ringing, no delivery attempt card. We did finally pickup from the post office on the next day after 1pm, but if I hadn't checked online we would have never known. Monday afternoon guess what I find in the communal mail box where we pick up mail at the end of our street? The delivery attempt card. It's enough to make a guy feel violent.

It's just so hard to get good delivery people now-a-days.

For some reason the Can Post delivery guys in AB are terrible lately - I've had a few shipments lately that were way late b/c of problems in Edmonton. It's enough for me to pay extra for Puralator or something!

We also has issues with Canada Post with the recent Calgary group order with Shrimp Fever. Our delivery guy said that he came to the door on Thursday (website updated). I was home all day. There were no knocks on the door, no door bell ringing, no delivery attempt card. We did finally pickup from the post office on the next day after 1pm, but if I hadn't checked online we would have never known. Monday afternoon guess what I find in the communal mail box where we pick up mail at the end of our street? The delivery attempt card. It's enough to make a guy feel violent.

It's just so hard to get good delivery people now-a-days.

YUP! I had them shipped to my office to avoid that old game... They've done that to me repeatedly on hardware orders...so for the livestock, I ordered them shipped to my shipping/receiving. Still failed. Still haven't had an update scan since they left Edmonton 24 hours ago.

For some reason the Can Post delivery guys in AB are terrible lately - I've had a few shipments lately that were way late b/c of problems in Edmonton. It's enough for me to pay extra for Puralator or something!

Hindsight is 20/20... I should have gone courier.

I know that the two day shipping was not possible with my location (Grande Prairie) with Canada Post according to Tommy. My shipping took three days. I also ordered on a Tuesday so that my fish would hopefully come before the weekend, next time it would be ordered on a Sunday or Monday. My shrimp were also left in my communal mail location with a key. Canada post seems to be having some problems with their update tracking system-Mine didn't even tell me there were in Alberta until delivery. Hope your shrimp survive.

Fish stores are manned by mainly uneducated (fish wise) staff, they hand out the nitrogen cycle info without reading it, or don't hand out anything. Sometimes if you are lucky you will meet a very informed staff member but those are fairly rare. Hope your fish get better.

I know that the two day shipping was not possible with my location (Grande Prairie) with Canada Post according to Tommy. My shipping took three days. I also ordered on a Tuesday so that my fish would hopefully come before the weekend, next time it would be ordered on a Sunday or Monday. My shrimp were also left in my communal mail location with a key. Canada post seems to be having some problems with their update tracking system-Mine didn't even tell me there were in Alberta until delivery. Hope your shrimp survive.

Fish stores are manned by mainly uneducated (fish wise) staff, they hand out the nitrogen cycle info without reading it, or don't hand out anything. Sometimes if you are lucky you will meet a very informed staff member but those are fairly rare. Hope your fish get better.

That is BRUTAL! I'm still waiting for my next phone call from a supervisor to tell me she still doesn't know what's happening...fantastic.

As for the pet store, I was seriously considering applying for a parttime job, just so I could try and provide some information to the staff, from the inside :lol: . Nice people, and try hard...but miss the boat on a lot of things...

Well, picked up the package at the depot today, got them home, and most seem to be swimming just fine. I'll know more when I add them to the tank, they are acclimating in a dark bucket.

Also picked up some aquarium salt (I didn't have enough) to treat the GBRs, temp is up to 82. Not much room left on the heater to go though...

Heat and salt are always my first course of action. If it doesn't work I go with Melafix. It has saved my Large angels and clown loaches from more that just white spot. Good luck and hopefully the next 7 days will result in healthy happy fish. So happy to hear that you have a quarantine tank, that is one of the best investments a fish enthusiast can make. Even if fish seem healthy in the store, the stress of another move can bring out all kinds of nasties in the fish. Better a few than all of the fish sick.

Update on problem 1 : seems to be no adverse affects, and in fact, I have a berried blue panaque!!! So stoked.

Update on problem 2 : the Ram is ich free (visibly anyways). I'll keep the salt and temp going for a few more days to be sure, then I'll do some PWC.