Need Help With Steel Stand Asap!

davis101

Bought a 300 gallon acrylic tank but the steel stand does not fit down the stairs. Could I take it to a welding shop and get them to cut it in half and reframe the two open ends. 48"x 30" each rather than 96"x30"

Most likely something like that. Cut in half and get them to finish both cut sides with steel to match so each are structurally stable. On the top of that throw down a cut to fit piece of 3/4" plywood. Bolt the plywood to the steel and both steel ends together. Good to go imo.

Bought a 300 gallon acrylic tank but the steel stand does not fit down the stairs. Could I take it to a welding shop and get them to cut it in half and reframe the two open ends. 48"x 30" each rather than 96"x30"

Splitting your stand in half and then finishing it as two stands is a cleaver solution. Stabilizing the two halves and making them perfectly flush with each other, as though they were a single unit, would be uncompromisingly vital. 300g is a lot of water. If the halves have some flex or unevenness in the middle, there's plenty of weight to stress your tank and make a mess... an added risk. :cry:

I'm guessing your tank is 96x30x24 (high) - which fits down your stairs. So your stand is taller than your tank.

If you are prepared to spilt your stand vertically and reframe the ends, how about cutting your stand on the horizontal - whatever it takes to match your tank dimensions - and reframe those two pieces?

Reframe the bottom of the top part. Reframe the top of the lower part (which would form a pedestal). You would preserve the horizontal integrity of your stand, and you could bolt the stand and the pedestal back together to restore its height. ;)

Best of luck.

Edited by Fisher

Is it necessary to bolt them together if they are side by side with a sheet of plywood above and below. It's not like they will be able to move with roughly 4000 pounds on top. I was also thinking of just shortening the stand to 22 inches or so, but I like the idea of having them seperate just because they could be moved so much easier.

Is it necessary to bolt them together if they are side by side with a sheet of plywood above and below. It's not like they will be able to move with roughly 4000 pounds on top. I was also thinking of just shortening the stand to 22 inches or so, but I like the idea of having them seperate just because they could be moved so much easier.

I agree - once the tank is filled, it isn't moving horizontally. What I have in mind is how the two parts might settle while the tank is filled. That is the opportunity for 4,000 lbs to shift the stand halves vertically. I'm just gutless when it comes to stuff like that. All I can think about is hearing, "Tick, tick, tick, tshhh," aware of what 300gal of water will do to a basement, and my days to follow. :blush:

Permanently shortening the stand to get it down stairs is a plan too. But once it's down there and in place, pedestal or no, it probably isn't going to move too often either.

• 4 weeks later...