Blue JD's

johnsmith

I saw some blue JD's at Riverfront and was wondering if anyone here picked any up. At $75 each I hope you waited till 50% off Sat. :D

These fish look amazing but are still a little too expensive for me.

What I don't understand is if they are a naturally occuring species why do they seem to have so many recurring health problems.

Thanks for those articles RD (how do you always find 2 articles on every topic??).

I would imagine you would have to understand a little about genetics to really get this. I'm not even going to go there.

I still don't get why everyone post I've read refers to health problems if they're supposed to be fine after the first month?

No prob, glad to help.

With this species I think a couple of things could potentially be coming into play.

1. They are a somewhat weak strain to begin with, as shown in their overall size and less than ideal immune system compared to the 'normal' JD siblings from the same hatch. With the genetitic mutation for color, perhaps also comes a genetic mutation with their immune response? Just a guess ...

2. Now that this color mutation has become popular, they are no doubt being bred in large numbers in Asia, which quite often leads to a decline in quality. Most mass breeders have one goal, and one goal only, to make lots of $$$$. If the breeding stock is all closely related, then perhaps this 'doubling up' of recessive genes is causing weakened immune systems?

Perhaps there's a reason why these mutations are killed by their siblings in captivity, and/or killed by various predators in the wild?

talking about the "electric blue" jack dempseys.

Until they get about 3-4" they seem about as hardy as a neon tetra, after that they get much better... absolutely beautiful fish.

The reason is most likely that they are heavily inbred, as most fish are that are line bred for an elusive trait... but at least they are not hybrids

I am having a tough time with popeye with mine right now. There is only one fish that is robust and completely unaffected. He/she is absolutely gorgeous, is the largest and I've never had any illness with it. I hope it's a male. And it's growing so fast! But sadly, the others are all very small (all same age), and having popeye problems. I hope to just be able to work on the large healthy one and have him/her as my centerpiece in my big tank some day.

Melafix was the first thing I tried. No success.

Then an array of meds one after the other:

Erythromycin

Jungle guard (and metronidazole)

Even Clout (getting desparate here)

Right now I'm using Kanaplex, Focus and Metronidazole mixed in with their food.

Not much improvement.

Any other suggestions?

These fish had "google" eyes at the store, so I am sure it did not start with me.

How can it with how I baby these guys? They get 2 water changes a day...one in the morning and one in the evening. The water gently flows in, mixes with current water and drains out an outflow at the back of the tank. I have regular JD's that are flourishing like crazy, so how can it be my water? Oh yeah, I treat the regular JD's the same care.

pH 8.5

GH 220 ppm (12 grains)

kH 310 ppm

Temp 82 while treating

They all get fed twice daily with the med paste I make. They have the best diet around: NLS, bloodworms, beefheart, Mysis shrimp, etc. Of course, the regular Jacks get an even more varied diet becausee they are not being treated for anything.

I just can't seem to shake this. The biggest and most gorgeous Blue is not affected at all, is growing very fast compared to the little ones, and is still flourishing despite the med soup I'm feeding all of the blues. They first started out in a 48 gal all to themselves, but they are in a 20 gal right now because of treatments. I have 7 little blues right now about 1.5 - 2.5 inches. The biggest is about 2.5 inches. Despite the eyes, they all have a great appetite and never refuse food. Because of the google eyes (the ones affected most), they do seem to have a hard time finding it. I have 3 of the smallest in net breeders so they can compete for food.

I've been treating them for about a full week and a half (I think) and plan to keep up the med food for another week and a half and see what happens.

Maybe they will outgrow this because it seems to be really only affecting the little ones....about 4 of them and the bigger ones look much better. Whereas the biggest is completly void of this problem.

???

Edited by wandj