Tanganyikan Tank Suggestions

JayWho

I have a 50 gallon tank that is nearing the end of its cycling process that I am doing as a Tanganyikan cichlid setup. I am running a Rena Filstar XP2 (rated for up to 65 gallons), and will also be adding a DIY wet/dry that adds 5-6 gallons of water and has enough bio-media for up to 80 gallons. I'm using crushed aragonite as substrate with a little regular gravel mixed in, and lots of lava rock with holes drilled through it to create caves, tunnels, etc and some old live rock that I used to have in a saltwater setup years ago that I have since boiled and rinsed out and makes great cichlid homestead.

I currently have it stocked with: (I will be keeping these fish and any future stock will have to be compatible - except maybe the danios if necessary for the room)

4 altolamprologus compressiceps
3 lamprologus leleupi

5 giant danios

1 small pleco

(all fish are small - 2"ish for most, and the leleupi's are just over 1")

I would like to add some sort of juli- to the tank, whether it be marlieri, transcriptus or regani. (assuming I'll have a choice, I'll go with transcriptus) I was thinking 4-6.

I would also like to add either tretocephalus or frontosa, as I like their look. I realize that frontosa would eventually outgrow my tank - but I could get away with them for quite a while before they either get big enough to eat the smaller fish in my tank, or get too big. 2-4?

I would also like to add a few brichardi's; though with reservation (see below).

What would those with experience with these fish recommend? And suggested numbers? Should I stock more of something? Less of something?

I used to have tanganyikans years ago, in a 25 gallon long - 3 brichardi's, 2 leleupi's and 1 or 2 marlieri - a pair of brichardi's started mating, and eventually overran the tank to where there were constantly 30-50 fish in there, even with taking some larger ones out and trading them for fish food, supplies, etc on a regular basis. I later heard that brichardi's were notorious for quickly overrunning tanks with their breeding.

I wouldn't be adverse to something like that happening again, in fact, I'd love to get a breeding pair in there - but a different species than the brichardi's this time! :)

I'd love to hear other's recommendations, and what YOU would do!

Edited by JayWho

I'm a tang fan...I have a 6ft 120g with a whole bunch of fish in it. I personally wouldn't do the L. brichardi again because they do take over the tank, but then again most of the tangs do that too...I have breeding transcriptus who have the whole right side of the tank to themselves and the others have to make do with hanging out on the left. There are so many tangs available these days, that you can actually walk right in to Big Al's (Edmonton) and usually find several different species. I usually go with 3-4 of each...and then they duke it out.

What's the footprint of the tank? (3 or 4'?)

Frontosa are awsome, but unless you have a 6'+ tank I'd stay away from mixing them with smaller fish. You'll regret it. The tretocephalus would be a much better addition to your tank than a front.

A small group of cyprichromis would be a great substitute for the danios if you're going for a tang community. A personal must for a tang tank though is a group of synodontis luccipinnis, they add a lot of life and character to the tank.

It's a 4' tank. Dimensions are 48x13x19.

I'm not familiar with the cyprichromis or synodontis luccipinnis... Now I have stuff to research! Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

Those are great suggestions. I could essentially replace the danios with the cyprochromis, possibly add a few more. And a small school of the synodontus would be perfect too. I was thinking of making a couple PVC tunnels (a short piece with an elbow on each end, buried with sand/rocks) that I'm sure the catfish could make use of... I have read about the synodontus cats before, but wasn't aware that they stayed smallish.

I should still be able to add transcriptus and tretocephalus as well with that combo, which is great. And maybe ONE brichardi... ;)

I imagine that Big Al's brings their cichlids from their Florida farms primarily. I'd love to get locally bred fish if possible though; other than watching the buy/sell here and kijiji, are there any local breeders of these species?