Problem with tank re-start

HarleyBeautiful

A friend of mine picked up one of the salt water tanks from the fish pond(Jack). It is about a 30 gallon and came with about 20 pounds of live rock and an internal filter. He removed the existing substrate, put in argonite and put in 80% new water with 20% "live" water. He also left all the existing filter material in the filter. He used 2 chromis and 2 perc's to cycle the tank. but.... not too long after the fish were introduced (3 weeks) they stopped eating and eventually died.

Any ideas anyone........??? also looking for a fix. thanx, Har

That is what happens when you intruduce fish into a 80% uncycled tank w/ 20% water that was standing still in jacks garage for 1 year. Boil everything.

It was only about 2 weeks if that. Plus he might have been over feeding. Who knows?

Just my 2 cents.

If brent still has some water i'll test it for him.

Ditch all the old water, ditch the old substrate and filter medium. Grab yourself a few pounds of live sand, or that activated sand in case you don't have live sand in your area. Don't cycle with fish, cycle with live rock. Leave lights off while cycling (2 weeks). Don't add so many fish at once. Maybe a pair of clowns, max. Bam!