Softening Water

PistolPete

I have a new aro coming from dream fish in a couple weeks. I was wondering if anybody had a stable way of lowering the general hardness of our water? Plus I'd love to lower the ph a lil as well. I don't want to add chemicals all the time as this tank receives plenty of wcs. Any ideas? Has to keep the levels stable. I'm already going with a heavily driftwooded bottom. I already have peat in the canister filters. I also use a product called Amazonia which leaches all sorts of brown goodies in the tank. Not sure how effective it is. I'd love RO but seems like a lot of work and pricey

Reducing permanent hardness is possible pretty much by RO only. You can reduce total hardness from 12-14 dH down to 6-7 dH by reducing temporary (carbonate) hardness from 6-7 KH to 1-2 KH by preliminary cooking water in a barrell with a mesured addition of acid (this is cheap) or sour salt and aging for a day under aeration.

Edited by Znaika

A new RO unit will produce water with 0 TDS, so adding 1/3 RO will reduce hardness by 1/3. If you're using 1/3 RO, you'll also find it easier to lower pH. Using just RO may be enough for your driftwood and peat to bring it down to the 6s.