tank stand too short

Vallisneria

Ok, tonight i bought some utility shelving to hold all my fry tanks. Each shelf is 36"x18". I wanted to fit a couple 10gs on there and was wondering if i could up them front to back. But that runs into a problem. A 10g is 20" long and the shelf is only 18". Do you think it would really be that much of a problem if the 10gs stick off the shelf by 1" on either side? I would never think of doing that with a larger tank but will it be a problem for a 10g?

I would strongly suggest you closely adhere to the suggested weight of the stand... most of these "utility shelves" are only rated for 50-100 pounds each shelf, hence maybe one 10g each. I purchased two units from Canadian Tire that were rated for 250 pounds each (five shelves, solid wood, and really nice when stained) for $33 each and currently have one set up with 2 fives on the top, two tens on two other shelves and the bottom one with empty tanks for storage. The shelves are not built wide enough (only 16") to turn the tanks, but if the weight allows, You may want to just cut plywood/MDF and use that under the tank, so the entire rim is supported.

Rona carries steel shelving with plywood shelves rated for 600lbs distributed weight each. I believe it comes in 36" x 18" (perhaps this is what you bought) but I picked up a number of the 36" x 24" sized versions. An absolte b(*#^$)&@ch to put together and I would never buy them again, but after all the fighting with them, they work out great! Totally versatile and you can orient 10g tanks in any way. I've got a couple of 55s, 20s, and 10s mounted on the shelving so far and everything looks good. I don't think that hanging any sized tank off the edge is a good idea... If you want to up the depth of the shelving, I recall I paid about $87 per shelf (you can also split it into two half-height shelves too).

I would strongly suggest you closely adhere to the suggested weight of the stand... most of these "utility shelves" are only rated for 50-100 pounds each shelf, hence maybe one 10g each

The shelves i bought are rated for 600lbs per shelf so I think they should be able to handle a couple 10g.

If needed i can put a piece of plywood under them but i just wanted to see if it was really necessary.

What exactly is so bad about 1" of a 10g hanging over the edge? IS the problem that it will stress the 10gs glass because it isn't supported? I have my 10gs set up on my dresser right now and they are shimmed on the bottom so their base isn't supported all the way around and they seem to be doing fine. Just wondering how a 1" over hang would be much different.

Rona carries steel shelving with plywood shelves rated for 600lbs distributed weight each. I believe it comes in 36" x 18" (perhaps this is what you bought) but I picked up a number of the 36" x 24" sized versions.

The ones i bought are metal with MDF shelves, rated for 600lbs. I got them from canadian tire and they didn't have a 24" version or i would have defiantely bought that one.

What exactly is so bad about 1" of a 10g hanging over the edge? IS the problem that it will stress the 10gs glass because it isn't supported?

That would be correct. Most tanks are designed to be supported along the entire outside perimeter of the base. Failing to do so can & often will stress the glass, sometimes causing major stress cracks.

Some of my tanks (tens and fifteens) are on end and stick out over the edge of the shelves. However I have a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to size for each of my tanks and this bears the weight. I have had no problems doing this for the past 2 years.