Tank Build, Overflow And Sump

jeditait

Looking for some opinions on my new tank being built by Concept Aquatics. Tank is 72"x30"24"; currently I have one overflow in a corner with two holes being plumbed to go to a sump tank. A friend is suggesting that I get another overflow in the other corner.

Is it beneficial to have 2 overflows in the corners, or keep the one overflow? One other suggestion concept had was to have an overflow in the middle with the returns on the back corners.

This will be a cichlid tank, I'm going to move all my current fish from my 120G to the new tank once it's built and setup. I also want to move all my plants from my current 20G into this tank.

Edit: Attached pictures & changed title

Edited by jeditait

The only issue I see with the corner overflow as it is in the diagram is that it is going to be a huge pain in the butt to clean out when the time comes.

One more option is an internal overflow box that sits near the top of the tank and could go coast-to-coast if you want. The box is shallow so it is pretty easy to clean and will not as much tank space as the corner.

Edited by cainechow

Very well done!

I'm gonna stick with the one internal overflow, I'm planning on building a cabinet around the tank and stand once I get it all setup and don't want to have to worry about building around an external overflow.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Ok so i got my sump tank last night, this was a pre-built sump (pics above), I didn't realize that the three glass pieces were so close together, i cant even get my hands in between them.

I'm trying to figure out how to configure the sump; my plan was to use filter floss/sponges/phosphate removal pad at the initial stage, then seachem matrix (I'm going to re-use the media from my current tanks), carbon and finally Purigen.

I would love to hear some ideas and suggestions on how to accomplish this within this sump :)

Thanks!

OK so after some research online and pondering this for a day i've decided to build a trickle filter on the left hand side of the tank. I've attached screenshots of the idea i have, i decided i should sketch this out before i start working on it :)

Now im wondering if I should rethink my media selection. Ill have 5 areas where I can place media; the top 'tray' where my overflow comes into the tank, ill stick with filter floss and sponges, the second 'tray' i would put my Matrix into but then on the bottom i have 2 fairly large spaces to fill up (8.5"x 11"x 11.5"). Filling these spaces with Matrix or Bio balls would be very expensive and i'm not sure if thats an ideal setup. The last section, before it overflows into the refugium, is where i intend on putting my carbon and purigen.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Substitute plastic dish scrubbies (dollarstore) for bioballs... It's exactly the same idea as the biomedia you can buy by the square foot at Aquarium Illusions, but a fraction of the cost. (supposedly superior to bioballs in surface area as well)

*Edit*
Just realized you're in Calgary - Aquarium Illusions is in Edmonton; so you may not be familiar with it.
The biomedia they sell is essentially a 3D web of plastic that can be cut into any shape, very similar to sponge foam.
476559909_447.JPG

Hence why dish scrubbies are a cheaper alternative.

Edited by JayWho