What Do You Use To Hatch Brine Shrimp?

McTurtle

I have the San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp Hatchery - black box - and it works, but I'm fairly sure it's not efficient. I did drill a hole and put an air stone in, but it is a box, so I'm sure eggs get stuck in the corners. I also don't have a way to keep the temperature up and so it sits at 20C and only gets light when I add the collection bottle.

I'm ready to move on to a better setup, possibly by cutting up some pop bottles.

Anyone have suggestions or a setup you like? Do you rinse off your shrimp before feeding them to your fish?

:D

This is how I hatch mine- http://www.ventralfins.com/diy_bbs_hatcher.html . A bit labour intensive at first, but it's easy to use and works.

I haven't figured out a way to keep mine as warm as I would like yet, but I have heard or wrapping it in bubble wrap, putting a lamp with an incandescent bulb above it, etc. A mini heater could work too, if you can find a reliable one.

I used a similar hatching setup however I let light do the trick for collection. The wee babes are attracted to light and with another little addon to the above setup they swim practically right into my collection chamber, separating out the empty shells.

For heating give this a go...should work like a charm.

7373.jpg

I let the mr. fishclubgirl silicon the upsidedown pop bottle to glass and then he puts the airline into the side. Then I abscond with them and I have my hatcheries.. My place is pretty warm so they work really well and there's minimal effort and cost on my part......

I used a similar hatching setup however I let light do the trick for collection. The wee babes are attracted to light and with another little addon to the above setup they swim practically right into my collection chamber, separating out the empty shells.

7373.jpg

These were recalled. Just a FYI

7373.jpg

Was it because of my previous comment?

7373.jpg

] Not sure the reason why I didn't really read the details as I don't own them.

7373.jpg

] Not sure the reason why I didn't really read the details as I don't own them.

/me walks over to visit Uncle Google

This is how I hatch mine- http://www.ventralfins.com/diy_bbs_hatcher.html . A bit labour intensive at first, but it's easy to use and works.

I have done this one in the past, and it works very well.

Right now I use one of these:

shrimp02_zpseee09020.jpg

I bought two online in an auction (I do not think that they have been made since about 1980), one for collecting, one to use....I think that they are fantastic hatcheries.

I have 2 of these, and a single light strip. I have a Styrofoam box that fits overtop that keeps the temp just right and blacks out the fish room. I like them because after every batch I can give them a 2 second wipe easily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brine-Shrimp-Hatchery-Guppy-Daphnia-triop-green-algae-/180605439241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0cec4d09

• 10 months later...

I have been hatching brine shrimp daily for decades. For anyone wanting to hatch a teaspoon of eggs or more an air pump, air hose and a 12 to 14' piece of rigid tubing (no airstone, you want the water to roll over, not have your eggs sprayed out by myriad breaking bubbles). An old reflector laid on its side with a 13 or 23 watt fluorescent bulb will keep the water warm and nearly double the hatching rate compared to no light. When the hatch is ready ( in my case 24 to 26 hours ) I pour the contents into a 5 gallon tank and use a small intense light to collect the shrimp for siphoning. After all the shrimp are removed I strain the water through a 12" square piece of sheet, then pour same water back into the 5 gallon tank. Because ot the increased oxygen over the next few hours a good many more eggs will hatch. By moving the jar closer to or away from the light the hatching time can be regulated. I found that 4 litre pickle jars provided more oxygen for the hatch, the water temp was much easier to control and the eggs circulated more freely as compared to the same conditions in a pop bottle.

I have been hatching brine shrimp daily for decades. For anyone wanting to hatch a teaspoon of eggs or more an air pump, air hose and a 12 to 14' piece of rigid tubing (no airstone, you want the water to roll over, not have your eggs sprayed out by myriad breaking bubbles). An old reflector laid on its side with a 13 or 23 watt fluorescent bulb will keep the water warm and nearly double the hatching rate compared to no light. When the hatch is ready ( in my case 24 to 26 hours ) I pour the contents into a 5 gallon tank and use a small intense light to collect the shrimp for siphoning. After all the shrimp are removed I strain the water through a 12" square piece of sheet, then pour same water back into the 5 gallon tank. Because ot the increased oxygen over the next few hours a good many more eggs will hatch. By moving the jar closer to or away from the light the hatching time can be regulated. I found that 4 litre pickle jars provided more oxygen for the hatch, the water temp was much easier to control and the eggs circulated more freely as compared to the same conditions in a pop bottle.

very nice, ty