Looking For Suggestion On Filters

gnome

Hi,

I own 55gal community tank for 8 years and since that two HOB Whisper 60 and Whisper EX 70 were running continuously.

Thinking it is a time to get a better filter. Two at the time little bit annoyed with cartridge changes and noisy.

Dilemma : canister or good HOB? I hear canister filters in case of long power outage will drain water from aquarium down to the floor? It's happened to one of our friend's, he had 1000gal tank in his basement and ended up the basement turned into great swimming pool. Cost him 10000 to fix all that mess.

We live on the country, outages happen often. Need something reliable.

Thanks for the reply. Is your canister on the floor, or in the aquarium cabinet, i mean lower than tank level? How long outages were for? Ours usually between 4 and 25 hrs at the time, what gives enough time for water to slowly drain out. We have about 5-10 outages per year.

I've used canister filters for years as well, but as per above have not had issues with them leaking. I'm pretty sure Canister filters need to be installed lower than the aquarium. However, neither have I had power outtages of over 30-45min.

That being said, HOB filters can do much the same if the cartridges are not cleaned or maintained. I've heard of issues with those leaking out most of the tank (not all thankfully).

Currently, I'm using 2 canister filters on my 90G tank, Aquaclear HOB's on all my 30G tanks (I simply use 2 foam inserts), and for all my 2.5/5/10/20G tanks I'm using the hamburg matte filters. Depending on your 55G setup, the hamburg setup could work very well but you would still need some good mechanical filtration. The only problem I've had with my filters is that the aquaclears tend to get a bit noisy (the cover due to vibration) over the years, otherwise very good filters IMO.

As for the power outtages, restarting of HOB filters tends to work well but only if they are cleaned regularly. If they are all gunked up, and the power is out for a long time they tend not to restart on their own.

cheers,

Antonio (Tigs)

Thanks.

HOB filters always start back, even after hours seating without power. And if they leak - they leak right into the aquarium. I personally don't like HOB, kept it for so long because of power troubles and my husband so paranoyed about our good wooden floor.

How about the maintenance of canister filters? How often? how costly?

Yes mine is in a cabinet beneath the 75 tank. I have zero issues with leakage as well as zero concerns. There is no reason why it should leak as long as the hoses/seals are seated properly.

I crack open my filter and rinse out the sponge once every 4-5 weeks...and can be longer. For cost, it'd be equivalent of a couple potato chips for energy in me doing this as well as about 4 L of water that I use to rise out the sponge. Changing the water out in the canister will also cost me 1 gallon of water. Time - 10 min.

Don't ever buy new sponges etc for each filter cleaning as it is a waste of $. I use filter floss from fabric stores and cut it to fit. Saves boat loads with the same end result.

I've put it off myself for a number of hours on occasions.

Edited by ckmullin

I can only speak for the Rena Filstar XP2, but I'm fairly sure that most models of canister filter, when installed correctly will not leak - power on, or off. If it doesn't leak while it runs, it won't leak if it's not running.

I've never had a HOB filter leak either (I've had them spill over where the intake pipe is, back into the tank - but never enough that they spilled onto the floor). I've owned many models of Aqua Clears and a couple bio-wheel style (which I don't recommend).

And when it comes to neglect, I've had my filters go months without maintenance and never had any issues. I've had heaters kill my fish though, by never shutting off while on vacation. Came back to the "unkillable" giant danios, my pair of kribensis cichlids and nothing else.

Edited by JayWho

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a eheim pro 3, I hear mixed reviews of leakage. Although ive had this filter for quite some time I'm under the belief this was a problem on early models. I'm really happy with it only issue is replacement media is expensive if you need more and they start out pricey. But I love it :)

For those concerned with canister filters draining out on the floor, you can drill a small hole on the intake tube, 1" (or more) below your water level I worsed case, it does leak, and start pumping out of the tank, it'll only pump to that hole before it pulls in air and breaks the seal.