Snail Removal Ideas

Maxwell

-I use sand as a substrate. I simply sift it and toss the ones I catch.

-Feed less food (no food. No snails)

-squish them as you see them.

-cut a 600 ml pop bottle in half and invert the spout end into the fat end. Drill a hole in the cap big enough for snails but small enough to keep out fish. Toss some stinky food in it, fill it with water and drop it in the tank. Dump and refill in the morning.

-feed fish just enough and slow enough that food doesnt make it to the tank substrate. Snails are actually good to have in your tanks, but

they are prospering because there is too much food in the tank

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good suggestions here. I would avoid copper, as it is detrimental to far more than snails, and will certainly harm many plants and kill some number of fish species.

My suggestions:

1. If possible, feed more lightly....less excess food equals fewer snails.

2. Squash them every chance that you get.

3. Try the zuchinni method....you can put a serious dent in their population quickly this way.

4. If your tank and inhabitants will allow, loaches/botia can do some serious harm to a snail population....just be careful in which species you choose, as some are far better snail-eaters than others, and some loaches do not play well with some other fish.

5. Assassin snails. I have used these to supplement clown loaches in clearing up some introduced snails (and the clown loaches seem unable or unwilling to eat the assassins), as well as a small group of assassins to clean out pest snails in shrimp tanks, where they do a good job, but it takes some time.

• 3 weeks later...

I accidentally killed some mts and a few nerites when using hydrogen peroxide to spot treat for cyanobacteria, that wasn't the result I was hoping for as the snails had just recently been intentionally introduced to the tank to assist with the biology of the ecosystem. Thankfully today I found a rogue mts cleaning the java moss.