My New Shrimp

jeremoose

Just got my order in today from www.shrimpwiki.com, I ordered 15 Yellow Shrimp and 10 CRS. Canada post flubbed my order a bit but ended up getting them in while only losing a single CRS (but shrimpwiki packed an extra of type of shrimp) so things ended up great. Literally couldn't be happier about ordering them despite my misgivings about the idea of shipping shrimp in winter.

n69c.jpg

nb3w.jpg

Thanks for looking. I hope to have some shrimp for sale come auction time.

Edited by jeremoose

• 3 weeks later...

Just "made" my first proper shrimp water using RO water and Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement to try to breed my Crystal Reds. They're doing just fine in their current tank but I REALLY want to see shrimplets so I'm going to do 10% water changes every week on this new concoction until all the old water is out.

Special "shrimp water" parameters:

6.0 PH

KH 0

GH 5.6

TDS 142

Excited to see how the breeding goes once I get them fully switched over!

EDIT: the CRS are sharing a tank with the Yellow Shrimp, I know the preferred breeding parameters for each type of shrimp are slightly different. CRS prefer lower PH/KH/GH/TDS... But seeing as Yellow Shrimp are like guppies, I figured I could cater to the CRS and still get a thriving Yellow Shrimp population as well. Is this wishful thinking? Are Yellow Shrimp/Cherry Shrimp too sensitive to breed in CRS tailor-made water? Anybody tried it? Just for the record, I've had the shrimp for about 2 weeks now and I have pregnant Yellow Shrimp already but no sign of it in the CRS.

Edited by jeremoose

my experiences with neo's in low ph tanks have been mixed.

They seem to do fine in tanks that i had fluval shrimp statum as it only buffers the ph down to around 6.6 ~ 6.8.

The one time i had some pumpkin shrimps in my super tiger tank (ph < 6.0) it really stumped their growth; at 6 months there were less than 1 cm - they usually reach that size at around 4-6 weeks normally.

my experiences with neo's in low ph tanks have been mixed.

They seem to do fine in tanks that i had fluval shrimp statum as it only buffers the ph down to around 6.6 ~ 6.8.

The one time i had some pumpkin shrimps in my super tiger tank (ph < 6.0) it really stumped their growth; at 6 months there were less than 1 cm - they usually reach that size at around 4-6 weeks normally.

Hmmmm, very interesting. I'll keep a close watch on them. Thanks for the heads up.

+10 for the drip. I drip all water changes for shrimp regardless if I'm changing water parameters or not. That means if I'm off on my matching it won't be catastropy. With how much we probably all have going on it is a precaution against our own distractedness... Saved me more than once.

drip it if the two water param's are that far apart.

The params aren't a massive difference but I bet your right, I should probably be dripping. I thought that with such a tiny water change (5%) I'd be okay. Doesn't really explain why I lost Yellow Shrimp and not the more sensitive CRS though, hmmmm.