Herbie Plumbing Question

jvision

I recently bought a 90gal that was drilled with an overflow. It had been running w/o the overflow for several years - the previous owner just ran the tubing for their canister filter thru the drill holes. I'm plumbing it with a 33gal sump, and went to put in the bulkheads to run a Herbie overflow... turns out when it was originally set up, it must have had a 1 1/4" drain and a 1" return b/c the 2 holes drilled in the tank are different sizes!

I'm obviously going to run it with 2 drains, but they're not the same size...

So here's the question for you plumbing gurus, which drain should have the ball valve on it? It'd be much easier to find a 1" ball valve than an 1 1/4" one... maybe I should just find a reducing bushing, and have them both 1"...?

I myself would put a ball valve on the 1" for the main full syphon drain and use the 1 1/4" pipe for the back up that is plumbed straight into the sump.. It's really a perfect setup for a Herbie style overflow. My 160 gal has only 1" drains and they are more than sufficient.