NOT hybrid Peacock picture!!!

albert_dao

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the right terminology for these fish would be selectively bred not as harsh sounding as hybrid.

Selectively bred would mean linebreeding. Hybrid means crossing two species. I can't see two species that would create this coloring.

I would cosider this species to be like certain dog breeds. All dogs are the same species, but certain breeds have been linebred extensively for their certain traits. (Huskies are a good example, as are retrievers or Newfoundlands) A mutt might still be a mix of certain breeds, but therefore is not a hybrid because it is still Canis lupus familiaris , and not a mix of two species.

IMO, these fish,unless someone can prove different, are Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Chipoka" - one breed of this species that has been line bred for its red colouring.

IMO, these fish,unless someone can prove different, are Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Chipoka" - one breed of this species that has been line bred for its red colouring.

Not to nit pick, but if the origins of this fish are accurate, they would come from line breeding A. sp. "stuartgranti maleri", with the most likely candidates coming from Chidunga Rocks near Chipoka, as there is a more orange strain found in that location. (according to Ad Konings)

http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1313

The Geman Red Peacock is not a hybrid but has been line bred from the Chipoka race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri".

FYI - there's more than one location for A. sp. "stuartgranti maleri". Maleri Islands is one of them, the others are Chidunga Rocks which is near Chipoka, as well as Mumbo & Namalenje Islands. Kinda confusing to say the least, as A. sp. "stuartgranti maleri" is also considered different from A. stuartgranti. (again, according to Ad Konings)

This is why it becomes so important to keep track of exact locations of where fish are caught in the lakes, especially when breeding fish for resale. S. fryeri is a classic example of a species where geographical locations has been mixed over the years. At this point most people that own S. fryeri don't have a clue what geographical location their fish were harvested at, not to mention that what today is classified as one thing, could later be reclassified as a separate species altogether. Afterall, this is still a work in progress, and most likely will be for decades to come.

Considering how anal Germans can be about keeping detailed records about everything (no hate mail please, I'm also of German origin) I've always wondered why the breeding info on the "German Reds" wasn't recorded, and published, in detail.

Perhaps it's all buried on some obscure German website, I don't know, but if it is I've never been able to find it.

Not being extremely well versed in peacocks, I've never noticed that there were different maleris. :D The first article that Albert quoted has them listed as coming from baenschi Chipokas, not stuartgranti at all.

It would have been nice to have the history, and maybe someone just needs to contact a few of these people if they are still around and put it all together. :)

Considering how anal Germans can be about keeping detailed records about everything (no hate mail please, I'm also of German origin).....

:lol: I'm petty happy with the German precision and records for my Mercedes. That's one fine lump of Germanic iron I bought. :thumbs: