Betta Question

GalenGrey

Hey all,

It's not a serious problem, more of a point of intrigue for a newbie.

I've got 1 male Betta, 2 Neons, and 2 Glowlights in a 10 gallon. The tetras have been full grown for a few months now, same for the betta actually. But, lately I've noticed that he's protecting his bubble nest more fiercely. He'll chase the others away before swimming right back up to it. Now, this isn't something that happens constantly- just once or twice a day really.

Is he just guarding territory more than his nest or is it something else I should change?

Thanks!

post-6490-0-55020400-1394291121_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yep there doesn't have to be a female around for them to try to attract one. If they are already kindda agressive they may not work in a community tank. Remember they have the "nickname" Siamese Fighting Fish for a reason. I would keep crabby guys alone!

• 1 year later...

Keep an eye on it but your tetras should be able to handle the occasional (3 times a day) short chase so long as they aren't being bullied or receiving body damage.When i picked my betta out from the lot, i chose one that was active but not overly responsive to my finger near the glass (passive / non-aggressive) and he's been in my tank now for ~3 months. I was a bit worried bringing him into my established tank at first but every time i watch him he doesn't seem to even acknowledge the other inhabitants.

I'd be curious to see what would happen if you introduced enough surface flow so that he couldn't build a bubble nest (as is the case with my tank).

Edited by IronChefItaly

I have raised Bettas for many years and keep the males in small heated filtered tanks. Why? They are masters at picking the eyes out of other fish. Many years ago, a pet store received a shipment of very beautiful males. They placed one male in every store tank which contained small Tetras, Danios and the like which they thought would not nip and tear the Bettas' fins. I told the manager that the danger also existed that the Bettas would attack the others. " I don't worry about that she replied, the other fish are too fast for them.

I went back a week later and found her to be horrified. In every single tank at least one fish had an eye missing. She had forgotten about my warning.

Since then, I have witnessed this scenario several times. During the last several tears the Betta Splendens group has been so badly inbred that they are far less aggressive than they used to be resulting in eye biting problems declining but some individuals still do it.