Dither Fish Opinion

Richer

What should I Choose?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A little background. I've got a 65g tank with 6 assorted malawi cichilds... nothing fancy. The tank has been around for about 3 years, and 4 of them have been around since then, two came around as a result of breeding and not being eaten. I've lost 3 due to aggression. There are tons of nooks and crannies in the aquascape.

I have a problem with my cichlids... ever since I got this tank up and running, I hardly ever see my fish out and about. Whenever someone comes within 10' of the tank, all the fish take off and vanish into the rockwork. If it wasn't for the surface aggitation on the tank, you'd just think I had an empty tank sitting in the corner of my living room :rolleyes: .

It has been suggested that I get some fast/tough dither fish (ie. tiger barbs, danios, etc.) to try to bring these guys out. However, I've also got another group of people who've suggested stocking more cichlids in my tank. If I can, I'd rather keep it a cichlid only tank, but if stocking dither fish is the way to go, then I'll go that way. I know the theory behind both suggestions, but I'd like to know what you think and why.

If I do get dither fish, what would you suggest and how many of them?

If I get more cichlids instead, how many more would you suggest?

Thanks for reading!

-Rich

Well, I think you should add more africans but, I wouldn't suggest acei if you have a tank full of peacocks. We have had an acei in a peackock/hap tank and we soon had to take the acei out once he grew up.

Our fish come out everytime someone walks by. Africans usually beg for food if they are healthy (of course you can't feed them everytime they beg). We have all our tanks in the basement and when I go to get up from my chair in all 6 tanks they come swimming to the front. Who says fish are dumb?? Sometimes I tease them by standing up and then sitting down again (this is a great thing to show company :) ). Oh yeah, I don't even feed the fish so they just come out to say hello.

You could always try getting some acei and seeing how it works out they are a nice colour fish that love to swim about. As for how many I guess that would depend if you want females and you don't mind breeding fish?

Good luck,

Amy

Rich ..... if you could post a few pics, we could help identify exactly what you have. As long as none of them are crazed killers, and the acei going in aren't tiny little juvies, they should be able to hold their own. The more you add, the less chance that any one of them will be singled out as a target for aggression from one (or more) of the current fish in that tank. P. acei will max out at approx 5-6" as well, so keep that in mind when stocking.

Also, you might want to consider pulling a few rocks, and/or redecorating when you add the new fish, just to help level the playing field.

I'll try to snap a few pictures of them... as far as I can tell though, none of them are crazed killers... they just chased each other around occasionally. I was already planning on reaquascaping the entire tank when I introduce the new fish, so that will hopefully reduce any initially aggression.

-Rich