Are These Snail Eggs?

desol

Hi there

I just started a new tank...and after much work, I may have picked up pesky snails. The tank is fairly new, probably 3 weeks and suddenly all these (like thousands) of gelantanous balls are appearing on the glass. At first I thought it was just bacterial cultures, but after some reasearch I think they may be snail eggs. I don't have one snail in my tank, it's so new....and I have a hard time believing there could suddenly be this many eggs in my tank. They're literally on 3 complete walls of my 90 gallon tank. They bob and sway with the current and 90 percent are see through...but some are a little white. It's going to be a huge amount of work getting rid of these if they turn out to be snails, as I won't have them in my tank and/or filter. I'll basically have to start everything over.

Can anyone identify either way what these might be? Thanks

P3200301.jpg

P3200301-2.jpg

Those white cirlces all over the glass in the first picture....and the white dots in the second picture. They're all over the inside of the tank (except the front of course, because I clean it). I've read that snail eggs will appear as transclucent balls with a white centre, and that's kinda what I see...but there's just too many imo. They bob and weave with the water current, like what you would see in a coral reef or something. I'm pretty sure it ain't algae either...it isn't turning green, etc.

Hmm....

Maybe it is just bacterial cultures?

Hey guys. Thanks for your replies...I do appreciate it.

Are you sure it's hydra...there's no tubular bodies and spindly legs. I don't feed very much...maybe twice a day and limited amounts. Hmm.

I made a quick video that shows exactly how they appear. Maybe you guys can get something from this? I'm at a loss...doesn't appear to be algae, cause it isn't green.

Pretty sure it ain't snail eggs now...cause snail eggs seem to usually be clumped together in a larger mass.

If you guys are still set on Hydra...then i'll take action towards that. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MfCrRTjxyk&feature=youtu.be

Edited by desol

Actually...I just had another look...and they're starting to morph into a Hydra looking thing...but they're still really small. Like a stem with a flowery kind of cup on top. At first they were just round kind of transparent globs. Apparently Hydra isn't from overfeeding tho...It needs to be introduced into the tank, and then of course will feed. Hmm. I'll keep an eye on it for a few more days or so...and if it's Hydra (wherever I got it from), I'll quarantine the fish and do the 104 degree's F thing for two hours.

I'll report back guys however, and thanks a lot for your help.

Edited by desol

Hey guys. Well, I'm pretty sure I've determine that it isn't Hydra. This stuff is all over the walls of the tank and rocks, but it's hardly noticable. It's also not growing past about 2-3mm in length. Definately not the predatory Hydra that i've seen in videos...+ there's just too much of it. This is more like a clear algae or fungus, I'm assuming it came from the rocks I put in. Seems pretty harmless and doesn't distract from the appearance of the tank. I'll be monitoring it over the next while, while I wait for the nitrogen cycle to complete. If it doesn't hurt anyone, I'm glad to have it. It almost seems beneficial.

I had something like these in my tank once, nothing new had been added and the tank had been running for months. I was told they were a type of freshwater plankton completely harmless and some fish will eat them. Did they feel a bit slimy when you ran your hand over the glass? I was told it came from over feeding, I cut back my feeding and before my next WC I wiped the glass with a soft scrubby and they were gone.

Nope, wasn't overfeeding, I don't think. I read up quite a bit before I started the new tank so I was a bit cautious with that. Before, I fed my fish flakes which I don't do anymore. They're too messy. :)

Now I feed them Life Spectrum Cichlid pellets which are much better, but to be honest I like to feed my fish here and there throughout the day, because they eat that way in nature. So what I'll do is periodically put about 10 pellets in the tank so that they float on the surface of the water (If i do a 'main' feed...i'll throw em in a little harder so they sink)...and they float around for a long while. While they float around one or two sink every now and again...so it's like a slow feed over a longer period of time. It's funny, the fish all hand around staring at them floating...and once in a while a Calvus gets brave enough and makes a dash for the top and snags a chunk. Rock Tanganyikans don't really appreciate having to go to the top to eat. :)

But there's never any food left on the sand or anything. It's all gobbled up.

Thanks for the pointer on the plankton. I resolved that it was something like that or some weird algae. Strange how it just faded away...