New 'with Fish' Tank Loosing Fish

bcbishop

Hello,

So ive had my 20G long planted tank running for about 2 months now with lots of plants, and last week bought some fish and shrimp to get it going.

I purchased 5 neon tetras and 2 red crystal shrimp.

I did acclimate them properly and added stability correctly.

I do run DIY co2 within the correct amounts.

The first two days 2 neon's died. They are sensitive fish i am aware but i had no ammonia or nitrites yet.

So i got them replaced.

Next couple days 2 more died.

It has now been a week and one more died yesterday. So i now only have 2 of them.

Mean while my two red crystal shrimp are doing fine...

I tested for ammonia and nitrites again today and still nothing.

Do i not have enough stock to cycle the tank? I haven't seen it cycle yet.

Any ideas on what i should do?

I was going to look at purchasing more less sensitive fish to cycle with.

I'm not gassing them out because they are swimming every where not just at the top and my shrimp are fine.

Thanks for any info!

Sounds like the tank may need to mature some more...but in the mean time...

Do you have an airstone in the tank? Surface agitation? Do you turn off the CO2 at night?

I do not have an airstone. I have the Co2 connected to a powerhead which is on the same timer as my light so when the light turns off the powerhead stops dispersing the Co2.

A few neons shouldn't be dying in a 20 gallon tank if there was any bioload to provide a cycle in those 2 months... You might have just gotten bunk fish... :unsure:

I ask about the water from the bags, because it's got lots of urine and poop in it and could be spiking your ammonia... But not if your levels are zero.

I vote bad luck, unfortunately. As I've learned from my years in this hobby - sometimes fish just die.

A few neons shouldn't be dying in a 20 gallon tank if there was any bioload to provide a cycle in those 2 months... You might have just gotten bunk fish... :unsure:

I ask about the water from the bags, because it's got lots of urine and poop in it and could be spiking your ammonia... But not if your levels are zero.

I vote bad luck, unfortunately. As I've learned from my years in this hobby - sometimes fish just die.

Ya it seems I haven't had good luck with big al fish for some reason.

Should I try getting more neons or go with something else. I wanted them because if the blue color. But I do want a non aggressive fish because of the shrimp.

Thanks

Stick with what you want. You just might have to keep weeding them out until you have some hardy ones.

Or try a different store maybe?

I bought 20 of these from petland because they were a $1.50 each, but they were tiny. I acclimated them properly and had good water conditions. They went in a heavily planted 120g tank with 25-35 other fish. Every couple days I would lose one, I am down to 3 which are doing great now. But im chalking the loses up to weak fish as well because all of my other fish were fine.