New 'with Fish' Tank Loosing Fish

bcbishop

If your tank is heavily planted, you won't get much for NH4, NO2, NO3. Your set up sounds fine to me. If your heart is set on neons, get them from a store that has had them in the tank for more than a couple weeks. I'm kinda leaning with JayWho and Humpty - weak fish.

Stop in at Nature's Corner Store (51ave and about 87st) the quality of livestock you get there is much better than the high volume stores.

Agreed on the "weak fish" idea.. have you thought of blue tetras?? Pretty fish and mine seemed very hardy. Never lost a one until they died of old age..

I bought 20 of these from petland because they were a $1.50 each, but they were tiny. I acclimated them properly and had good water conditions. They went in a heavily planted 120g tank with 25-35 other fish. Every couple days I would lose one, I am down to 3 which are doing great now. But im chalking the loses up to weak fish as well because all of my other fish were fine.

Good to know. Thanks

If your tank is heavily planted, you won't get much for NH4, NO2, NO3. Your set up sounds fine to me. If your heart is set on neons, get them from a store that has had them in the tank for more than a couple weeks. I'm kinda leaning with JayWho and Humpty - weak fish.

Stop in at Nature's Corner Store (51ave and about 87st) the quality of livestock you get there is much better than the high volume stores.

Awesome. Never been there yet. Thanks