Cichlids And Powerheads...good Idea?

Senroc

I was wondering if anyone else uses a powerhead to create a bit more circulation around the tank? Is it a good idea with cichlids? I've used them when I had a salt tank to help out the corals and what not, but not with a cichlid tank. I've got a 70gal setup with a few logs and what not for them to swim in and out of. But I've noticed a bit of debris is gathering in a few spots where the filter isn't able to circulate as well. I was thinking of installing a small powerhead to just rid the tank of any dead spots for circulation.

I don't think its a bad idea at all the only thing I can see is if the current gets too strong the fish wont have spots to rest but if it is just to clean the debris then it is a good plan

Lots of cichlid tanks that run sumps use powerheads to move detritus around and into the filter intakes.

Many cichlids enjoy the turbulence. I use two powerheads on a 50 gallon tank along with a canister filter and the fish don't mind it at all.