20 Gallon Tall Ok For Livebearers And Plants?

Tracyp

So I found what I thought was a good deal for a 20 gallon tank, lid/lights and filter on Kijiji ($30). Once I got there it turns out that the tank is tall and the ballast for the lights is corroded so I don't know what to do with the canopy although it did come with a Aquaclear 70 in good shape.

I bought it anyways figuring it was a good deal (was it?) but now that I'm thinking of it I don't know if my livebearers would be happy in there? Would it be a better idea to resell it and get a 20 gallon long? Also if I do keep it what should I do for a top and lights?

Any help muchly appreciated!!

If you figure out the lighting issue I can't see a reason it wouldn't work for livebearers and plants. What fish are you looking at keeping?

I have a low-med light planted 20 tall, it keeps my healthy and happy endler colony (along with a pair of wild bettas).

ANY tank will work fine for plants. Fish, such as little livebearers, the tank would also work crazy fine. Don't fret about that.

If the metal is all corroded, perhaps rip all that out and redo with a new light insert or just have an open top with a light that is mounted with legs.

Great, thanks for all the input!

I'm thinking of moving my 2 platies and guppies to the 20 gallon and making my 12 gallon a dedicated planted invert tank with maybe a few endlers.

I was thinking of the lights on legs but from what I can find the price is a little steeper than I would like. Any ideas of where can I find a new light insert?

It's a dual incandescent so you could replace with 6500K cfls and it would work well.