65G Planted Tank

Pteronarcys

I have recently redone my tank. I had gotten very busy with work earlier this year and my CO2 cylinder ran out. I couldn't seem to find the time to get to a place to get the cylinder refilled because I was always home late from work. Sadly to say that many of my higher needs plants slowly disappeared. Once that happened I just reduced the light and waited for a break to get things looking nice again.

Now that I have some time I decided to rearrange some things and rip up the pygmy chain sword.

Here is the result after 2 weeks.

post-6589-0-31327000-1405876168_thumb.jpg

The tiger lotus is popping up all over. Which is fine. The rocks in the back will be covered in weeping moss once I get it in and I will add a moss wall to the right side of the tank and parts of the back wall as well.

The mini pellia has not taken hold of the rock stack on the right. Never used this moss before and was hoping these rocks will eventually get covered with it.

Star grass on the left is really taking off.

I kinda regret getting both pogostamon stellatus and limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides' because they are so similar looking. Those are on the back left (left side of the rocks is pogostamon) and the right side of the rocks is the limno. Middle is rotala indica.

I will be replacing my light fixture shortly with two buildmyled fixtures (one 10000k plant light and one 6500k dutch plant light).

I will add more pics as the tank grows in

Couple more pics:

My kuhli loach found a shrimp to munch on (don't know if it was already dead).

I also wanted to take a pic of this new plant I found while camping. It looks like a cryptocoryne but it has very thick leaves that are serrated. They feel like rubber. Don't know if it will survive, but hoping so. I want to see what it looks like as it grows out.

post-6589-0-62470300-1406405128_thumb.jpg

post-6589-0-96871200-1406405136_thumb.jpg

post-6589-0-70128500-1406405146_thumb.jpg

Wow.... beautiful tank....a few questions.

What do you dose with in terms of fertilizer? Aquarium temp? PH?

How do you inject your CO2? Ceramic diffuser placed low?

Thanks..... I'm still tinkering with placement... discus temp has also limited what will grow..... it's a trade off

It is still growing in from changing it around and adding many new additions.

I use the EI dosing method. nitrate, phosphate, and potassium on one day, then iron and trace the next. At the end of the week I do a 50% water change.

Temp right now goes between 76-80 because of how hot it gets in my condo and my current light set up (3 t5HO fixtures running 6 lights). I have ordered 2 led lights from Buildmyled.com but they are stuck at customs for the last week according to the tracking. Fun! Hoping this new light setup will not run so hot and allow my tank to sit more at 76C. Temp swings isn't the best thing to have.

I inject CO2 into a reactor that is attached to my canister filter's return tube. The CO2 is regulated by a pH controller (soon I will have the OCO CO2 controller). The reactor ensures the CO2 coming from the canister is all dissolved. This way I loose less from bubbles that go directly to the water surface and is lost, thus conserving more of the CO2 gas and making it last longer.

I have 3 small red sea water pumps to move water around dead zones in my tank and one larger hydor pump creating circulation towards the front and minor surface ripples. I want to make sure all nutrients and gases get around my tank.

Some of my tank areas are weak because of the limited quantities of some plants available when I ordered them. I will have to make due with growing and trimming to slowly fill in some areas. The moss wall will be weeping moss and as that grows out, I will trim and add more moss walls along the back and cover much of the stone and wood as well. I want to hide my cords for the heater and pumps as well as the eheim tubing and probes with moss and the stem plants over time.

Might change my background as well, since only the light blue part is really visible and its kinda drab.

Thanks for the info....what brand of reactor do you use?...I purchased one but it's a cheap chinese knockoff.....keet crapping out....I remember having to deal with the dreaded dead spots with my reef....With the discus and the temp, I'm limited I think....had great glosso growth before I turned the temp up.

I'm running two fluval led strips....likey not the best....notice my leaves are fully closer to the surface.

I'm yrying the aquarium fertilizer.com's MacroMicro Nutrient Mix

Not the best pic but you get the idea....

post-6603-0-69070300-1406770885_thumb.jpg

post-6603-0-46819900-1406770905_thumb.jpg

post-6603-0-73455900-1406770929_thumb.jpg

Really nice tank, I'm trying to start a planted tank myself but plants and fish here in Alberta are expensive. We just moved from BC and fish stuff is cheaper over there.

If you ever make trips down to Calgary I'll put a package of various plant species together.

• 3 weeks later...