New Planted Tank

Relaxedfishi

Hi everyone, I want to have plants in my 55 Gl. tank but I would like to know if it is necessary to have a CO2 system? I already have enough light and I'm adding Flourish Excel and comprehensive supplements to the water but do I need the CO2 system.

Thank you for your help.

By far you don't need to have pressurized co2. If you do want plants that 'should' require co2 you can get away with it by having the plant higher in the water column. For example Glosso can easily be grown at the water's surface, with no co2 and with even lower light. Typically glosso does need co2 when planted in the substrate however when @ the top of the water it will gleen carbon from the atmosphere (it will flower too). Adding of liquid carbon will help as it is another source of carbon. I would say because EVERY TANK is different test your tank with a co2 needed species...just make sure you use the liquid carbon when doing this test.

Yes, a planted tank without CO2 is possible and much easier. Pick the plants that don't need CO2 and high light ie crypts, amazon swords, vals, anubias, hygrophilia polysperma, java ferns, hornwort, najas grass and there's probably more... If you do get vals, don't use liquid carbon though as they will melt. This kind of tank is one of my faves!!

Edited by fishclubgirl