Pending Romance...?

McTurtle

I've had a female and male betta in separate 5 gallon tanks that face each other on end. My female was striping up and interested but my male couldn't be bothered, so I never tried to breed them.

Recently I got a new male betta and he started blowing a nest. So my female is floating in a breeder tank inside his tank and he is going to town on his nest. It's at least 3 times the size it was. I'm hoping to introduce them tonight. I'm just terrified they're going to damage each other instead of breeding... There's a big sword in the tank for them to hide in... so nerve racking! Any suggestions?

When I was breeding Bettas I used heavily planted 10gals for breeding so the female could get away if need be. In your case, I'd just make sure I released her when I had time to look in every hour or so when lights are on. If they're getting along OK when you're home, chances are they'll stay that way (tho, it's by no means a guarantee). Watching them spawn is pretty cool!

I find that decorating he spawn tank is a balance between the female being able to escape the males line of sight, but not so much that they can lose each other.

If they don't spawn this time take them out and fully condition them- lots of frozen food and pellets three times a day, and let them see each other for fifteen minutes a day.

Breeding bettas is super exciting. More work than lots of other fish but more fun too.