Pea Puffer Fish

Moogled

Anyone know where to get these little guys? I've seen some near the Sunridge Petland, but as it stands, I'm not really sure I want to get them from PETLAND. Does anyone know which LFS sells Pea Puffers?

Also, since this is my first time with them, can someone share their experience with Pea Puffers?

*giggles* cute, Albert... cute.

I have a pair of dwarfs, and as they are very nearly the same thing (or identical, depending on the source) I'll relay.

I have had them a few months after picking them up off a fellow board member. I have a male and a female and they are fairly peaceful. They are in a 10 gallon tank with a small (about 2") pleco, some java fern and a chunk of mopani. This gives me somewhere to drop the snails in and give them a chance to run for cover before the puffs go hunting. True enjoyment for all.

I breed my own common snails for them (and my Fig8's) and also feed them frozen foods, such as chopped shrimp, whole mysis, and 'cichlid delight'. They are fed once a day, and are only ever starved for attention.

You have to be wary of the size of snails you feed them, and the quantity, as they will seriously eat till they nearly burst, and are too small to break the shells on anything half their size to get all the meat. I find four snails 1/4 of their size (and by size, I do not mean length, I refer to their "diameter" of the body, looking head-on) will stuff them both to full, and I make sure to make sure they both get equal shares. If I drop in all four at once, the female instantly goes after them, easily downing all four before he has a chance to even line up for a kill. They do NOT eat commercial food (flake and pellets) so don't even try it. I have heard that young ones will eat limited flake, but young fish will eat anything. The good news is they hardly actually eat anything. They have VERY small stomaches and it takes nearly nothing to stuff them silly. When feeding frozen foods, a cube cut 2mm square is all they need, each... each of my bettas will eat the same amount as both puffers.

Watching them eat a snail is entirely worth the price of admission... they see it, approach, angle themselves just right... curl the tail... and BANG! snatch it up! I have seen them go right upside down to get just the right angle of attack, and it's TOO funny...

Care is really easy... although when they get sick.. whoa, do they. They are scaleless so even a little ick can really mess them up. I spent most of August treating the tank for it, and this weekend I get to finally water-change the Coppersafe out of the tank, after the month-long "after treatment". Like all fish, "the better the water, the better the fish" but they do seem quite content if a water change goes a few extra days, or you miss a feeding.

They live quite happily with 3-5 gallons per fish... this is one fish you should not follow the "inch per gallon" rule. They need to have a little more room to spread out and do their own thing... they can be quite aggressive, and should be able to get away from each other. Mine have darted and nipped, but I have never noticed a mark, or a chunk of fin missing... it's more just warnings. They can be done with a community tank, but mixes can vary... some report good luck, some, not so much. I know someone who has 4 in her 35 gallon guppy tank, and they seem to be ok... and i may move mine to the community 50 I have in November (one more month to make SURE the Ick is completely gone!) but you will have to feel this out for yourself. Make sure you've got a cycled tank ready in case they pick a fight with someone... they are bite-sized for just about anything out there.

As for finding them... Big Al's in Edmonton has some juveniles in (or did, earlier this week and they were selling FAST). About 1/2 an inch and oh-so-cute! Might try the Calgary store and see if they got the same shipment??

***NOTE: If you move this fish, do NOT let it come into contact with air!!! If they puff while in air, they may not be able to expel the air, and may die. Use the net to catch them, and then use a container (I use a measuring cup) to go IN the water, under the net, and draw the net out of the water, while in the cup. Then transfer the cup to the other tank, submerge and release. I have seen other people take the fish out of water, and they've been fine, but I have also heard stories of death... yes, this transfers water from one tank to the other, but hey... your water is clean, right ;)