Opinion On Up-Aqua Pierce Co2 System

joeysgreen

Hello everyone,

I am looking to add CO2 to my planted tank as I'm adding more vegetation. Originally I was going to go low-tech and use yeast cultures but via our distributor I can get UP-Aqua pierce CO2 systems (7pc) for a very reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? It seems rather small and cheap compared to the fancy systems I was looking at before ($200+ price range), but perhaps it's good enough for our single tank; dimensions approx. 48 x 12 x 18tall.

Thank you,

Ian Kanda AHT

Park Veterinary Centre

780-417-1119

Don't waste your time with that. I've heard too many people complain and kick themselves after the purchase. Grab a proper co2 setup...if your going to spend $...spend it the right way.

10lb tank http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cr-p10lbc/Aluminum+CO2+Cylinder+-+10+Pound.html

5lb tank http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cr-p05lbc/Aluminum+CO2+Cylinder+-+5+Pound.html

regulator http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cr-ppmilreg/Milwaukee+CO2+Regulator+with+Needle+Valve+%26+Solenoid.html

grab some tubing http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/pl-neo01/1+8+Inch+Neoprene+Tubing+%28Per+Foot%29.html

and then get some sort of diffuser/reactor. Too bad your up in Edm.

Free shipping from that place.

It just hit me that we already use Vitalaire for our medical oxygen so I'm going to see if they can hook me up with a CO2 setup. Once the air is down to I/v tubing sized supply what do you guys use to add it to the water? Is it fine to just use an airstone? I've heard about bubblecounter's and upside down cups etc...

Is it better to have it running 24/7 or just during the day?

Ian Kanda AHT

Park Veterinary Centre

(780) 417-1119

I pump CO2 into a Powerhead intake (not the venturi), which chops the bubbles up into a fine mist, but really, there are thousands of ways to dissolve CO2 into the water. If you think a solenoid on your CO2 tank is not worth the cost, plug the powerhead into a timer and let the CO2 bubble 24/7 (it doesn't dissolve intot he water when it's just bubbling off). Plants will only use CO2 when the lights are on, and start producing it when lights are off, hence the desire to only have it dissolving into the tank when the lights are on.

Run the co2 24/7 to avoid ph swings. The amount of o2 used by plants during the night is minimal. I use a wooden diffuser which gives micro bubbles and then I have a hydor which creates nice water flow to take the co2 to all parts of the tank. Use a drop checker to measure co2...it's the best way.

I think in this tank I have enough buffering capacity that pH swings won't be a concern, but I have a pH meter to monitor it closely and adjust my CO2 if necessary. My filter is placed well enough where I think there is enough water flow to distribute the dissolved gasses.

Jason, I had to google solenoid to see what you're talking about; it's simply an electronic timer for turning the gas supply on/off, is that correct?

Ian Kanda AHT

Park Veterinary Centre

(780) 417-1119

Jason, I had to google solenoid to see what you're talking about; it's simply an electronic timer for turning the gas supply on/off, is that correct?

It's a switch/valve that you plug into a timer - just allows you a bit more control of CO2. But, like Ckmullin said, it's not 100% needed. There are quite a few CO2 Reg kits that come with a solenoid