Hatchfry Encapsulon/ Jaybas Fry Food

Jayba

So...this may open up some good debate with regard to fry foods, as everyone has an opinion. I have included a copy of the paper published.

While trying to find some Cyclol-Eeze I found this interesting paper comparing growth rates of fry and certain types of foods. Argent makes a food, kind if like Golden Pearls but better. Micro sized etc. Its interesting as they use Live brine shrimp as the control group....anyway, I did look into getting some of the Hatchfry Encapsulon for fun and as an alternative to GPs (Golden Pearls).

Not sure why, but GPs seem rather one dimensional. No real color, no deep scent. Just blah. Originally I liked them because they have a neutral buoyancy in the water column.

I have included what I do for fry. I have been very pleased with the results. The food is good for Rainbows or Hypansistrus plecos. It just needs to settle out for the plecos. They must like it because everyone goes nuts once they smell it.

I have been using this concoction to cover a miriad of situations and needs. Using my Jayba mix has a couple specific requirements. The tank must be bare bottom, and there needs to be a clean up crew in the tank. The particular "blend" depends on the type of fish I am trying to raise.

I work out of town so the autofeeders is my best friend. My awesome wife sucks waste out of the tank once during the week I am gone. Just don't repeat what I put am about to disclose about what I put in her coffee grinder...

My mix is some of the following:

1* Freeze dried Black Worms

I put freeze dried black worms in the coffee grinder and chop it for a few minutes until it is literally dust. Works great for surface feeders like rainbows (Eventually it will sink and the plecos get it)

2*New Life Spectrum Reef Micro Feeder Particles

I love this stuff. Kinda like small fish starter but better. The particles are dust small but not as consistent size wise. Some are maybe 150 micron all the way down to 50 micron. A good assorted mix of sizes. It eventually sinks into the water column where fry can pick it off. Once it settles, the plecos get it.

3* Sera micron

Veggie based fry food. Good quality. Added merely for plant/veggie content.

4* Cyclop-Eeze

Great stuff. I don't think it ever sinks. Used sparingly. High in omega 3 and protein.

I mix it together based on what the fry is. Seems to work well, and is convient. The fry is always fed and it's not very often I lose a fish.

Look forward to the Hatchfry Encapsulon, but the sizes are huge and shipping to Canada makes it unrealistic. Unless some want to share.....

What do youe guys use for fry?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideosdigitals.uab.es%2Fcr-vet%2Fwww%2F21239%2Fzebra%2520fish%2520article.pdf&ei=t_l7VKf6AobIsQTKw4DACg&usg=AFQjCNFAeqH7DcqpQHM_XBJJJsuRb2kW4g&sig2=aNneCzUbwVuLIKth4-ba4Q

Edited by Jayba

As I keep killing off my microworm colonies, I've been using the repashy soilent green in powder form for my cory fry. Just mix in a little container a couple heaping brine shrimp spoonfuls and pour it in. It gels a bit after it settles but is small enough for the green lasers, duplicareous fry I have been using it on. On an average spawn of 80 (green laser) I've maybe lost a total of 10 out of each spawn.

With my very limited experience breeding fish I have had the best luck using Sera-Micron as the 1st food for rainbow fry I like it because of its convenience and I can see if the fry are eating because they end up with a green belly,but it has proved lacking in the growth department,so I begin to introduce live food as soon as possible three days is my rule.Miro-worms in small amounts the fry show interest but usually aren't able to eat them until about the fifth day when they begin to pick off the smallest worms.At this point growth takes off and I can start adding BBS to the feeding schedule once fry start in on the miro-worms & BBS I stop the Sera-Micron and switch to NLS grow out that I grind up using a mortar & pestle.

I use a bare bottom tank, for clean up crew its a combination of pond & MTS snails.WC are every two days 25% in the 1st two weeks then 50% from there on.

Its all been experimentation so far but I've learned live foods which may not be convenient are your best friend with fry and WC lots of WC.

I would like to try Cyclop Eeze & Golden Pearls one of these days,blackworms I have so I might grind up some for s***s & giggles see how they like it.