Breeding Rineloricaria Parva

vince0

About a year ago, a local fish friend decided to shut down a majority of his fish room, and gave me first crack at the fish that we're in there. Knowing I was in for a world of goodies, I immediately dropped everything and headed over to his place. I was rewarded with 4 species of plecos, one of them being a mysterious whiptail catfish I didn't recognize.

I originally put the group into my 180 gallon display tank which was also housing a group of twig catfish, L204, L66 and a long L052. The fish didn't really thrive in this tank, probably due to the large population of catfish housed in there, and I eventually moved them to a different display tank. After the move, they would come out at feedings and we're overall more visible.

I didn't think much of them, but decided I should probably try and figure out what they we're. I started a link originally in the catfish section and I will link this conversation for reference.

Whiptail Catfish Id

While I was in the process of getting them identified, they decided to spawn for me. This got my attention a little more focused on these fish. I researched as much as I could and with the help of a few international experts, we figured that these we're Rineloricaria Parva. The original batch of eggs ended up fungusing on me after I removed them from the display tank, however I did not despair. If breeding many species of fish over the years has taught me anything, its that if a fish spawned once, odds are they will keep doing it.

Today, that theory was proven right when I came home at lunch to the pair laying eggs on the side glass.

20141203_122818_zpsd4bfsrqh.jpg

20141203_122151_zpst2edpqj1.jpg

I have since pulled the eggs, they are sticky but dislodge easily with a razor blade. A quick hand movement and they pretty much flowed right into my awaiting fine mesh net. They are now in a bucket, with a high flow airstone and a heater, awaiting the approximately 5 days to hatch.

I will update then, in the meantime, some more pictures of the parents.

20141116_100457_zpsmy61uulb.jpg

20141103_073712_zpskciurssa.jpg

20141103_073704_zpsmaldylzh.jpg

Looks like you have another good pair there!

The literature on these states that the eggs should hatch in about 5 days. This morning, I witnessed the first two fry being released from their shells. They still very much look like an egg, with the exception that there is a larva tied to the outside.

4ZOtWl5.jpg

I did a water change with pure ro water this morning hoping this would help with hatching.

Here is a picture of the hatching bucket. It's contains a mix of farlowella and rineloricaria eggs

zajoXRr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so the last batch was a fail. The babies hatched, but died instantly... it was very heartbreaking.

Last night the male and female we're cuddling on a breeding cone.

UVZQP3Fl.jpg

This morning I came down to a male guarding eggs.

26IzKmnl.jpg

Every time he has chosen a site, it has been out in the open. I think if they are not successful this time, I will have to move him to a 20 gallon breeder with his ladies, and try it again with some privacy. I think I may be able to house him with smaller rainbows, since the eggs are so large....

Congratulations on getting them breeding Vince!

Some thoughts from an ancient breeder, who's knowledge is probably pretty dated. (So take with a grain of salt).

1: For this latest breeding, I would move the entire cone IN WATER to your bucket. Avoids exposing to air, and minimizes risk of damage from cutting loose with a razor.

2: I would hit the water with a very light amount of methylene blue, like just a slight color change (although you've already proven this is unnessesary by getting them to hatch). Just my belief. Even with fry I ran a bit of Methylene blue (again, just a very light blue color. just enough to inhibit fungus)

3: and this is the one that I really would note - You said you changed the water with RO water. Do not make a huge change in the water condition like that. If you already had RO water in the bucket, all good, but a sudden change in the TDS is really hard on fish, especially fry.

Others may disagree, but if it were me, that is how I would run with the ball on this.

Good luck! I've seen you succesful with many species of fish. This is just your latest challenge! Have you made Master breeder in the club yet? If not, I'm sure you will soon!

Dan

No. I stopped filling out forms a while back. When they denied my points on the halfbeaks because of low fry count, I stopped caring about BAP.

I agree that the ro water change was probably dumb. I do use methylene blue or peroxide depending on my mood.

I think this time I'll leave them as the clutch wasn't very big. Next time though, I'll be making a better effort.

• 2 weeks later...

The last batch was a wipe, after they started hatching, they started disappearing.

They laid eggs Saturday night, and they laid them on the breeder cone once again. I removed the breeder cone and placed it in a hatching bucket. The eggs we're not physically touched. I added 10 drops per gallon of peroxide to kill any bacteria. so far, all eggs appear good. this is best results I have had yet.